Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Coleman Powermate Disassembly ???

02-11-06, 06:34 AM   #1  
Coleman Powermate Disassembly ???

I have a Coleman Powermate 3750 generator and need to figure out how to remove the armature from the crankshaft. I need to replace the connecting rod (broke) but cannot seem to get the windings off the crankshaft end. There was a very long bolt I removed from the armature end of the crank but the thing will not come off. I haven't pryed it very hard however for fear of breaking any of the winding or plastic cooling fan.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
B & S 6hp
Model # 120312 0137
Con Rod # 690124

Sponsored Links

02-11-06, 07:10 AM   #2  
the armature is on a taperd crancshaft. the long bolt you described pulls it onto the taper and retains it. one trick is to loosen the bolt to obtain apx 1/16" gap between the bolt face and the armature and stike the bolt head while someone holds the rest of the assembly. the idea is to shock the crank to release the taper. good chance you could bend the bolt. if you do get it off apply some antiseize to the taper incase there's a need to remove later.
be carefull using pullers around that armature, you can't just grab it anywhere you want.

02-11-06, 08:41 AM   #3  
coleman powermate disassembly thanks to Flopshot

Thanks flopshot! I screwed in the long bolt as you described and with some well placed blows from my hammer... Off the armature came without any damage!!!
Thanks again.

02-11-06, 11:25 AM   #4  
glad i could help. don't forget the antiseize (not oil) when it goes back together.

09-30-13, 07:34 AM   #5  
10 horse Coleman generator I have a longbow stuck in the armature and I cannot remove it How do I get it out of the armature

Super Moderator

NJ

09-30-13, 07:39 AM   #6  
Don please start a new thread...

Thanks

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

Search this Thread