Craftsman Snow Thrower

Old 02-12-06, 04:31 PM
Angry Craftsman Snow Thrower

I own a Craftsman Snow Thrower 4 horsepower 4 cycle engine 21 inch single stage auger propelled. The recoil starter rope on the Briggs & Stratton motor, suddenly, will only pull out about 6 inches and then it is stopped abruptly with a clank sound when it stops. Really aggrivating with the BLIZZARD we had today in the NE

Question: What might have happened? How difficult is it to repair something like this? Any suggestions?

THANK YOU!
Doreen

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-06, 05:59 PM
about how old is it? try and take the shroud off, make sure the engine spins alright by hand when you do, sure it will, if its old enough to have a starter clutch, make sure it only spins in one direction and will catch, if it doesn't, then its onto the recoil itself, one simple thing that can happen, is that the rope skips over and catches between the shroud and the pulley.

Old 02-12-06, 06:12 PM
It is 1 year and a half old. (dec 04)

THANK YOU

Old 02-12-06, 11:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it out of oil? Was it running fine before it was put up for storage? Make sure the unit is not engaged, and any belts that shouldn't be engaged are not stuck in the pulley.

Old 02-13-06, 02:56 AM
Is this a 2 or 4-stroke engine? I've never seen a Briggs powered Craftsman 2-stroke and I know you noted it was a 4-stroke but this is odd for a single stage unit, although not impossible. Post back with the chassis' ID numbers as well as those of the engine.