Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need Help, I think I killed a friend's chainsaw

02-13-06, 09:14 AM   #1  
Need Help, I think I killed a friend's chainsaw

Hi,

I borrowed (and am now regretting it) a friend's chainsaw. It is a Homelite 16" 38CC chainsaw. He said it was ready to go, and I used it for approximately 15 minutes. I had made 5 cuts on a bottlebrush tree, and was down to the stump with a diameter of about 12 inches. Smoke started comming from the clutch cover area, and almost immediately after that the chain stopped turning, though the engine was still running. So, I shut it down. I took off the clutch cover and (what I am calling the clutch) the part that the chain is driven by, was smoking really bad, and was extremely hot, it took a good 30 minutes to cool down. so I could even get close to it.

Now, the Pull rope it stuck (will not pull out at all)...

I have already purchased my friend an new chainsaw, but I am wondering how bad this one may be. I am kinda of hoping that just the clutch is burnt up and can be replaced.

Thank you all for any assistance.

Chris

Sponsored Links

NY

02-13-06, 12:36 PM   #2  
It is possible that the chain is so tight that it is affecting the engine. Remove the chain and see if the engine will then turn over. If not, you'll want to remove the muffler and take a look at the piston and cylinder and check their condition. Post back with your findings.

02-13-06, 12:56 PM   #3  
Thank you for the info, I will take a look tonight and check that out.

Visiting Guest

02-13-06, 03:04 PM   #4  
diagnosticmonke
I dont want to be funny but you did use mixed gas correct ?

02-13-06, 06:46 PM   #5  
That was my concern... It was full of fuel when i picked it up from him... he said he used the same fuel as his weed eater. But he had no idea what the mix ratio was even supposed to be.

I am letting this be a lesson to me... Not to borrow any more tools.

Have not had anytime to take the muffler off... but with the blade and chain removed the cord is still not budging.

UGh....

02-13-06, 11:54 PM   #6  
I'd bet, if you look through the exhaust port, you'll see bad scaring. Didn't know what the mix shoulda been he said? Tell him to go and get premeasured bottles of either 40:1 or 32:1, or a multi ratio measuring bottle, of course for air cooled 2 cycles not water cooled, and use either, 40:1 or 32:1, though its probablly 40:1.

NY

02-16-06, 08:06 AM   #7  
After initial engine break-in (2-3 tanks of fuel), I'd highly recommend using only synthetic oil to use as mix and at the oil manufacturers recommended ration - not necessarily that of the equipment manufacturer.

Search this Thread