Snowblower dies out right away...

Old 02-17-06, 05:13 AM
Snowblower dies out right away...

I have a 2-cycle snowblower with a 4.5HP motor. When I choke the carb and prime it a couple times it will start away. The problem is that it then dies out right away. IF I keep priming it though while running it will keep running. I can keep it running as long as I keep push the primer a couple times every 8-10 seconds. As soon as I stop doing that though, it dies out. Any ideas what in the fuel system may be doing this?? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-06, 05:45 AM
Snowblower

Hi, Sounds like a simple fuel restriction . Unhook the fuel line from the carb and see if fuel flows. I don't know the carb you have but it might have a diaphragm fuel pump. The card may need to be cleaned and the diaphragm may need to be replaced. If you have a fuel filter in the tank or in the fuel line make sure it is free of dirt and water.
Keep us posted. ~~~Jeff~~~

Old 02-17-06, 08:06 AM
Snowblower

I just thought I tell you about this but it only happened to me once. I had a 2 cycle lawn mower that would't start after winter storage. The carburetor had a bowl. The gas in the bowl evaporated but left all the oil from the 2 cycle gas mix.The bowl was full of oil. Won't run on oil!!!
If you have a bowl on the carburetor check it. After I cleaned out the bowl it started right up. Your carburetor may be full of oil from setting.
Good luck, ~~~Jeff Z.~~~

Old 02-17-06, 12:38 PM
When is the last time the machine was run? Did it run well? How old is the fuel? Do you have a basic understanding of carburetors? Would you be comfortable disassembling yours? Do you have compressed air? Depending on your answers, you may have to recon the carburetor...we await your answers.