smoking honda HR214 mower

Old 02-23-06, 06:48 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
smoking honda HR214 mower

I have a 1983 Honda lawnmower that smokes when I first start it. If I let it sit and warm up it will clear up, but when a move it the smoke will reappear. I pulled the head and found alot of carbon around the exhaust valve head. Could this have been the problem ?

Last edited by sirreel; 02-23-06 at 07:13 AM. Reason: carbon was around valve head ,not stem
Old 02-23-06, 09:14 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
the carbon was a byproduct of the smoke. the hr214 was a great mower, but hey,,, it is 23 years old now and it's just wearing out. you could have it rebuilt, but if it were mine and really liked the machine, i would replace the motor. new rings, valves, seats etc are nice but you would still have a 26 year old ignition system and carburator. pricing a new honda mower will give you a quick reality check compared to engine replacement. you didn't say if it's a pxa,sxa etc. so if it is self propelled consider that the trans is also 26 years old. good luck

Old 02-24-06, 12:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
If you feel up to the task, a new set of rings is probably all it will take to make it quit smoking. I've had success with these engines (refreshing them with new rings). It is old, but hey, if you can get another few years out of it for an afternoon's work and $35.00, then you might deem it wothwhile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: