Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old Techumseh

02-20-06, 08:05 PM   #1  
Old Techumseh

I have an old snapper rear engine with a blown techumseh engine. The engine plate says model v5060200h. Seial number 2222. I need to replace it. Techumseh and snapper cannot help. Can anyone help with any ideas on a replacement engine?

Sponsored Links

02-20-06, 08:57 PM   #2  
You can search google for replacement engines, ebay maybe..... doesn't have to be a tecumseh though.

02-21-06, 05:25 AM   #3  
a briggs dealer would be glad to cross reference the engine for you.

Visiting Guest

02-21-06, 05:38 AM   #4  
diagnosticmonke
Go with the Briggs

Ive got a few of those riders out back, funny how all the techumsehs are locked up but the B&S engines have life. Once you go Briggs youll never go back. Happy Mowin

NY

02-22-06, 06:10 AM   #5  
I believe that up to a 8 horse Briggs will have the same mounting footprint. Now you just have to be sure you have ample room to mount-up such as the bigger engine will likely be more bulky but only slightly. The other areas of concern are the crankshaft length and diameter (along with keyway size and pulley retainment style (center bolt, set screw, etc.)) as well as the need for a comparable alternator if electric start.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-22-06, 11:56 PM   #6  
You can put most any single cylinder engine on it as far as footprint. The snappers had several mounting hole patterns. Some of the snappers had a flare on the back fender that is in the way of the bigger single cylinder engines, but it can be cut off easily. You'll need an engine with a 1" diameter shaft, 3 5/32" long, and keyed. Some snappers had the drive disk mounted with a bolt in the center, while most used allen head set screws to hold the disk on the shaft. If yours uses a bolt, it will require a crankshaft with a threaded hole for a 7/16 - 20 bolt. Most all suitable engines come with all these requirements as standard. I like the briggs 280707 12hp engine on a snapper with a 33" or less deck. Most any briggs engine starting with 19.... to 31.... on the model number should work, provided it is a vertical shaft engine with the correct crankshaft requirements.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

02-23-06, 05:37 AM   #7  
Measeure the shaft height and diameter. Easiest way is to measure to top of shaft: then deduct 1/2 of diameter. Then measure the overall dimensions and compare them to the line drawings on most online engine resellers website.

Both Tecumseh and Briggs have repowering guides as .pdfs to help with selection.

I've found B&S more helpful replacing Tecumsehs. It's not a toll-free call, though.

02-23-06, 12:20 PM   #8  
I've seen many put side valve 12horse briggs on them, might as well step up from a powerbuilt one, and use a I/C (industrial/commercial) 12 or 12.5 or even 13. ohv even. You'll pay more for the I/C, but get alot more years out of it being that it has a cast iron bore.

Search this Thread