Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

mccullough chainsaw pull start spring

02-27-06, 10:01 AM   #1  
mccullough chainsaw pull start spring

I have an old 150 mccullough chainsaw that the pull start spring is broken, its easy to remove the pull start (about 4 screws) but the disassembling of the spring housing is were Im stuck. It looks like its to be unscrewed clockwise but Im not sure. I wish I could post pictures of the housing as it hard to explain what it looks like but here goes, the side that interfaces with the motot has a coupeling that looks kind of like one half of a U-joint which is screwed onto the string holder thats on the other side of the housing. These two part have to come apart to get to the spring inside the housing. I've tried going counter clockwise and clockwise but it does not want to budge. I don't want to break it because I don't think it can be replaced, its so old. If any one has experience with this please advise. I have it soaking in penitrant hoping to loosen things up.

Thanks,
Bruce

Sponsored Links

NY

02-27-06, 12:07 PM   #2  
I've never heard of a 150 McCulloch but I do show a 1-50 (which, by the way, were made from '59-'60) in my McCulloch catalog but I have never worked on a 1-50. Every McCulloch I've worked on has one of two means to secure the pulley in place. Either a "stud" molded in place (integral to the starter housing) requiring a single center screw (torx-head sheet-metal-type thread) or a carriage bolt (coming through the back side) with machine nut in the center of the pulley. But, if this is in fact a 1-50 then i'll be of no help since i've never seen one. Good luck and stay tuned for someone who may be familiar with this model.

MI

03-05-06, 06:56 PM   #3  
A picture would really help, Whatever way it turns when pulled Im sure that tightens it or it would unscrew when you pull. Unless of course its held on some other way. It seems like my skil had a E clip to hold it on. I really think you will need some pictures on this site to get help unless somebody already had the same saw. I wish I could be of more help.

Search this Thread