Brigs Starter motor magnet came loose

Old 03-06-06, 04:07 PM
rcg
Visiting Guest
Brigs Starter motor magnet came loose

My push lawn mower with electric start wont start using the electric starter (12 volt). It turns out that one of the permanant magnents came loose from the housing. what kind of glue should I use to put it back on and I'm not totaly sure which way it goes in the housing. How do you tell which way it goes back in? Thanks RCG

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-06, 05:57 PM
The original adhesive probably left a mark where the magnet was attached. Reattach with a thin layer of two part epoxy. Don't clamp too tight or you will break the magnet.

Old 05-21-13, 08:43 AM
I also have a broken starter, When the original starter (which lasted THIRTY YEARS on this 10hp Tecumseh-powered ancient Craftsman/Murray rear engine rider) finally shattered a couple of magnets, I bought a new (Chinese) replacement. Two years later the robot spot welds on the bracket came loose and now I'm considering carefully (TIG) rewelding those spots, and/or more places.

If that doesn't work or warps the case I'll try migrating the new magnets and armature into the old (VERY sturdy, US-Made) case. I had assumed magnet mounting would be difficult to impossible. It would be interesting to see how this previous poster made out!

One has to wonder at this point how good the Chinese epoxy is. But I happen to kNOW those magnets are ALL very fragile, powerful, and difficult to manage even in pieces, inside a steel case, and may not be removable in one piece.