Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

The DR Field & Brush Mower

03-08-06, 05:52 AM   #1  
The DR Field & Brush Mower

I am considering buying a new 17 hp DR Field and Brush Mower. Live in NE PA, and have much multiflora rose, blackberry, autumn olive, wild raspberry, etc. stuff encroaching an orchard surrounded by old stone walls. Too many protruding rocks, stumps, and rough spots to risk using my tractor mower close to the edges, and the thorny brambles make mowing near the edges a blood sport.

Anyone have experience with this mower? How about maintenance and repair parts? As careful as I may be, I will probably prang the blade against the occasional stump or rock. How difficult will it be to repair after that?

Finally, are there any other comparable brands out there that I should look into?

Many thanks.
J.C. Cremer

Sponsored Links

03-08-06, 09:54 AM   #2  
i had a bad experiance with a newer DR running a kawasaki engine that belonged to a customer . Kawasaki won't stand behind the warranty. we needed to replace our DR's in rental and just today ordered the Billy Goat brush mower with a Briggs. also available with a Honda. less money than DR

03-09-06, 01:54 PM   #3  
Flopshot,
Thanks for your input. I'll check out the Billy Goat before doing anything rash.
JCCremer

03-09-06, 04:16 PM   #4  
ours should be in soon. i'll let you know what i think.

NY

03-11-06, 05:55 AM   #5  
I, as well, like the Goat. Whether you get the Briggs or Honda powered unit is dependent on which you have the best local parts availability for. You will likely find more Briggs dealers than you will Honda. But if you do, in fact, have a reliable, Honda dealer in your area...you choose which engine to buy. Both are great engines.

03-13-06, 02:20 PM   #6  
Sincere thanks for your replies. I ordered the Billy Goat with the B&S engine this morning. The Honda engine cost about $400 more. Since I won't be using it comercially, the sales rep recommended the B&S. Will let you know how it works.
JCCremer

03-14-06, 05:18 AM   #7  
we ordered the briggs too. the mower is not that hostile of an application that i felt the need for the honda. besides, i like to evaluate a new peice with the lesser cost engine option. i think you'll be happy with the machine.

04-07-06, 03:51 AM   #8  
Update:
Got the Billy Goat with the B&S engine. Runs beautifully and does as advertised. Works especially well on upright type saplings. A word of caution to others who may be thinking of using one on entangled brambles, briars, grapevines, and especially multiflora rose. It cuts a swath through them, but the overhanging and intertwined vines from the sides, top, and back rebound in on the operator. Once I get that stuff cleared, keeping it down with the BG should be an easy once or twice a year operation. All in all, I'm very happy with it. Thanks to all for the good advice.
JCCremer

Search this Thread