Toro Wheel Horse 18 hp Kohler carb problem

Old 03-17-06, 02:57 PM
Toro Wheel Horse 18 hp Kohler carb problem

I have a Toro w/ 18 hp Kohler which ran for awhile if you left the choke on. Now (even after a carb change) it won't run at all. The fuel is pumping right up to the carb, but it won't start unless you blow a little carb cleaner (ether) in the bowl and once that burns it shuts off. Any help out there?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-06, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
If it runs on ether than you still have a fuel problem. Why/how did you "change" the carb.?

Old 03-18-06, 06:24 AM
If this is new enough to have a fuel shut-off solenoid then this could be to blame. What are the model and specification numbers of the engine?

Old 03-24-06, 10:59 AM
Model is CV185, Spec# 61528, 624 Displ.

I had another model just like it that I bought about the same time. I now use it for parts.

I think it might be the fuel solenoid as suggested but its also a new fuel solenoid as it was attached to the parts tractor's carb. Is there anyway I can disconnect or manually open the solenoid?

Old 03-24-06, 02:46 PM
With a test light, test to see if you have 12 volts to the fuel solenoid when you turn the ignition key to the run position. If so, you still need to be sure the solenoid is good. Remove it from the carburetor and watch the action of it while you send 12 volts to it. Don't forget to ground the body of it to the engine so you can have a complete circuit.

Old 04-05-06, 02:08 PM
I'm not getting electric to the solenoid; but I did place test the solenoid and its functioning. I checked all the fuses and they are ok. I even ran a direct current to the fuel solenoid and it still won't start.

Old 04-07-06, 03:01 AM
Sounds as though you need to remove the carburetor and soak and recondition it with a Kohler rebuild kit. I'd do the same with the fuel pump while you're at it.

Search this Thread