Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Siezed Motor?

VA

03-18-06, 08:17 AM   #1  
Siezed Motor?

Not sure what I've managed to do. Getting ready for spring, replaced the spark plug, cleaned the air filter, and changed the oil in my garden tiller. Has a 6HP B&S Intek engine. When I started it the first time, it ran for about 5 seconds, then cut-off, and large cloud of smoke came out the muffler.

Thinking I had really screwed up and forgot to put the oil back in, I opened the oil filler, and a yellow foam started coming out. Did I put hydraulic fluid (or worse) in by mistake? I made the changes several days ago, and threw the empty oil bottle out, but thought I put SAE30 in.

A couple of minutes later, I noticed what looks like oil dripping from the air filter, so it looks like the pressure built up and blew it back out. Tried pulling the starter rope, and the engine turns. Should I try replacing the oil and restarting? Don't want to do any more damage.

Thanks . . .

Sponsored Links

NY

03-18-06, 09:42 AM   #2  
I'll bet you put in a full quart of oil when it holds only 22-25 ounces (depending on the exact model series engine. Ten ounces of extra oil is what caused the smoking. The engine (any small engine, for that matter) isn't designed to be filled more than about 10% over recommended capacity. Drain the oil back out, replace the air filter, may need to flush out the carburetor with spray cleaner, and fill oil back to specs. What are the engines' numbers?

VA

03-18-06, 10:36 AM   #3  
I strongly suspect (and sincerely hope) you're right. I think I misinterpreted the owner's manual when refilling, and filled it to the top where I added the oil.

Not sure what engine numbers you are referring to. I have the owner's manual, and it says "look here for the Engine Model/Type/Code", but there is nothing on the engine at the spot it refers too. The large sticker on the engine says 6HP OHV and Intek. The Briggs & Stratton owner's manual is for Model Series 110000, 120000, 200000 and 210000, and if it helps the tiller is a TroyBilt SuperBronco CRT. The engine owner's manuals includes as replacement parts bottles of 20oz and 48oz oil. I'll bet I decided to split the difference and put in a full quart.

When you suggest using a spray cleaner on the carbuerator, do you mean using something like GumOut? Are there any tricks to getting to the carb? Can I just remove the frame that holds the air filter, and spray through there, or do I need to completely open up the carbuerator?

Appreciate the help

03-18-06, 11:27 AM   #4  
I've gotten some (weren't overfilled, but was flipped over, the oil filled the carb, and combustion chamber along with it) I would just remove the air filter( if the old ones oil soaked, throw it away and replace it) it'll smoke heavily for a little bit, but oil in the carb isn't such a big deal, being the gas will wash it out anyway. But use a little carb cleaner to spray it out a little bit.

VA

03-18-06, 03:01 PM   #5  
Thanks,: that took care of it! Drained the oil, replaced the air filter, sprayed the carb with gumout, put fresh oil back in, and it started right up. Spewed smoke for about 10 seconds, and then tilled the garden with it. No more problems.

Thanks again!

NY

03-20-06, 11:32 AM   #6  
Yeeha! Good news, glad you got it.

Search this Thread