String trimmer problem

Old 03-19-06, 04:18 PM
String trimmer problem

hi guys, my wife's string trimmer/weed eater, a B & D GH600 has suddenly decided it wants to suck the free end of the line up under the spool and tangle it around the shaft every few minutes. I replaced the spool with brand new but still occurs. Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-06, 12:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any chance the line is wound the wrong direction on the spool, or the spool is upside down?

Old 03-20-06, 04:32 AM
Originally Posted by cheese
Any chance the line is wound the wrong direction on the spool, or the spool is upside down?
I wish it were that easy. Its a factory spool, not a self-wound. The arrows are pointing correctly.

Old 03-20-06, 07:44 AM
Don't assume the factory spooled it correctly, check it out yourself. The line should be wound the opposite direction of the rotation of the trimmer head. In other words, as the trimmer is under power, the line will tend to spool itself on, not feed out. And, again, be sure the spool is not on upside-down, as Cheese mentioned.

Old 03-20-06, 11:01 AM
I'll double check but it seems unlikely since when it started happening, that spool had been on there and working fine for approx 6 months. First thing I did was replace it and it immediately happened again.

I can't get the hub that the spool goes on off so can't check to see if anything is wrong below it.

Old 03-20-06, 08:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, if everything is installed and wound correctly, Look at the post that the spool sits on. Make sure there is no compacted dirt or wound up grass in there, in the inner bore of the spool, or the underside of the head. Also, look at the tabs on the post in the head. Are they worn off, or rounded over?

Old 03-21-06, 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by cheese
Ok, if everything is installed and wound correctly, Look at the post that the spool sits on. Make sure there is no compacted dirt or wound up grass in there, in the inner bore of the spool, or the underside of the head. Also, look at the tabs on the post in the head. Are they worn off, or rounded over?
There IS some wound up grass on the post, not a lot but some. Problem is that I can't get to it. There's just enough space to let stuff get in there but not enough to get a tool in there. Cannot get the hub off. My thinking is that the hub has slipped out a bit and that is allowing this to happen but so far I can't move it in either direction (further on or off). I plan to look at a new one in store and compare that space to mine.