Lawn Tractor Blues

Old 03-20-06, 11:08 AM
Lawn Tractor Blues

The arrival of warmer weather always leads to the shed door and the digging out of the old mower. I addressed all the usual maintenance issues and then went the extra mile and drained the hydro transmission...big mistake.

I replaced the fluid with Honda Hydrostatic Fluid recommended by the local Lawn Care guy, cranked her up and only had reverse. My first thought was air in the system. I then jacked the rear end up and let the rear wheels spin backwards for 30 minutes or so. Still no forward.. Got in touch with the manufacturer and they advised 10W30 motor oil for the rear end and assured me that the Honda fluid would do no harm to the transmission. Changed the fluids again.

This time I had reverse for a while but that eventually disappeared and now there is no movement from the rear tires at all. Called the manufacturer again and they are stumped and here I am. My ride is a 1990 Snapper LT14H41. I dont think there is anything serious here, just need the proper procedure for changing fluids. Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-06, 01:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe that's a tuff-torque tranny in that mower. You could try contacting them about it. Are you sure it's full? Does the tranny make a lot of moaning noise when engaged?

Old 03-23-06, 09:39 AM
Tuff-torque tranny?? Actually the tranny is Sauer-Sundstrand and their response to my question was "Sorry, Can not help."

I have contacted a few of the local equipment rental outlets and they too have no answers. I am pretty much at the end of the rope on this one.

I have no idea if the tranny is full or not, however I do know that the fluid reservoir is full with the odd air bubble coming to the surface Tranny is quiet in all positions ie F-N-R.
I have hung the rear end from the rafters and let it run..in and out of gear, towed the mower (in gear) around the yard with the Grizzley. Nothing seems to work.

Old 03-23-06, 08:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You probably have already checked, but is the input pulley on the tranny actually turning? Could the bypass valve be engaged or partially engaged? (the valve you engage when you prepere the mower to be pushed, or free roll with the engine off). Look not only at the rod that engages it, but the valve on the side of the tranny to make sure it is not stuck in the bypass position. How many quarts did you put in it? Can the tranny manufacturer tell you the fluid capacity of the unit? Maybe it's got air in it that can't escape and there's not enough fluid in it.

Old 03-24-06, 09:16 AM
I believe you are right, the tranny is a tuff torque, however the pump is a sauer sunstrand. I have tried online to get info re both of the above but in vain. The input pully is spining like a top and the roll valve is engaged and moves freely in both positions. About 1 litre of fluid was removed from tranny and a somewhat less amount back in.

In conversation with Snapper (manufacturer tech services)they had no info re the transmission other than they thought (as we all do)there may be a trapped air scenario and had no solution....not even what model tranny was in this tractor. I have the manual that came with tractor and tranny details are non existant..apparently from info I have gleaned during this process is that the tranny in this unit is not designed to have the fluid changed.

Tranny worked great when it was move from shed to garage for fluid change. Some I have spoken to say that the oil drain plug is not a drain plug but has something to do with the pump adjustment. Doesn't really make sense to me but I will file for info. The "drain plug" is about 1" long with the last 1\2" tapered and spring mounted on it. On top of the spring is a 3\16" ball bearing.

Was talking to a gent last evening with 35 yrs experience in this field. He's baffled and wouldnt attempt or even consider trying a repair on this unit. Scary!!

Old 03-25-06, 11:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On that plug you mention, can you see on the threads approximately how far it was screwed in? I don't know if it's an adjustment or not, but with the spring and ball it certainly sounds like it. Sounds like a pressure adjustment. I have been into a hydro tranny, but I'm not familiar with the internals of yours. If it came down to it, I'm not scared to attempt a repair on most anything. A hydro is different, but still not too complicated. If everything else fails, don't be scared to unbutton it and have a look inside, if you're somewhat handy with a wrench. I think I'd fiddle with that "adjustment" a bit though, since the position of it and the fluid in it are the only things you've changed. I bet the problem is there. Also, some hydros have a breather screwed into the housing. If yours is stuck, or clogged, it may not be allowing air to escape.

Old 03-26-06, 05:10 PM
Oh geeeez Cheese, I went over the edge. After spinning the pump for an hour or so with no results I removed the plug to discover the spring and ball bearing were AWOL. This new development made me throw caution to the wind and the transaxle and pump are now on the bench. Took a fit if you will..Found out later that the pump could be removed without removing the transaxle...Dumb
With all the gear detached from the tractor is was easy to pressure spray 16 years of accumulated drive belt residue from the tranny and pump exposing some interesting secrets.

I discovered that the perimeter of the pump has 8 of these so called drain plugs. I just happened to pick the wrong one. Just below the plug I took out and to the front of the pump is a port with plug that has no guts attached. (drain maybe) The entire pump is honeycombed with all these 5\8" dia. tunnels that intersect each other at right angles, explaining the where abouts of the spring and ball bearing, that I suspect went adrift the first time the plug was replaced.

I removed the plug from the tunnel that intersects the tunnel where the BB and spring had disappeared from and lowered a magnet in about 2" and "CLICK"...snagged the BB first shot. Searched further for the spring but in vain. Washed out the pump with varsol and put the air hose to it with neg results. It was difficult not to pull the pump apart and go after that spring but I could see a gasket was required and no doubt I would mess up the seal for the PTO.

Wanted to make certain I could get those parts so back on the internet and found a place in Conn that deal exclusively in Sundstrand pumps. They did have series numbers and letters that corrosponded to those that I found on the control valve of the pump M, 90, 11,1...Because this all took place on Friday night, I dont expect to hear from them until Monday...Ill let you know.

As for the infamous plug, spring and BB, I am beginning to think that they act as some sort of check valve. At the top of the tunnel where the BB seats is a concave disk (3\32"dia) with what looks like an orifice in the middle. The spring had very little tension and the BB would compress it to the plug shaft just sitting on it. There was no adjustmt to the plug as it was a red face affair just to loosen it.

In closing I have to mention that I found a set screw on the top of the pump directly above the roll valve...No guts hooked to this either..bleeder maybe.

Old 03-26-06, 10:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well, you gotta get the spring out whether you find a gasket or not. Sounds like you're in for a learning experience. Keep us posted with your progress! If you run into trouble, we'll help if possible.

Old 04-22-06, 04:26 PM
Not much for making gaskets so I screwed a 1\2" nipple into the oil filler hole and retrofitted a valve stem, opened the bottom port on the pump and gave her a good blast of air. Success, the spring came flying out without a hitch. Along with the spring came the shaft seal, washer and retaining ring. Great!!

Found the seal and washer but the retaining ring must have vaporized from the high rate of exit speed...couldnt find it anywhere. Searched high and low for the proper RR but in vain. However I did find one that was a touch too big...a little grinding and "Back on the Road Again."

Tractor now works great and seems to be much more responsive on the tranny stick. Dont think I will be changing the oil in the hydro pump again anytime soon. I would like to thank you for your help in what seemed like it was going to be an earth shattering experience for me. Actually it was...

Thanks again,
Dusty

P.S. I did manage to get a parts manual for the hydo gear pump and the spring ball\bearing combination is in fact a check valve.

Old 04-24-06, 01:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good grief! You're lucky that stuff came out so easily! Did you go right out and buy a lottery ticket?

Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for the update!

Blowing it out was good thinking, but yer still lucky, lol!

Old 06-27-08, 11:26 PM
Smile Yikes The LT14H14 tranny

Please tell me there is an easier way than tractor blues, mower moves after jacking with the back lever. But, I don't know how with the dirty fluid in the transmission. Thanks for the info on the type of transmission, I couldn't make out what was on the silver+blue tag. Please tell me there is an easier way to change fluid and what type of fluid? I was just going to wing it but not now. This mower was purchased used and I haven't any info/manual on it. Any help would be a life saver. Glad you got yours back together Blues!!

Old 07-09-08, 05:30 PM
Dusty or Cheese I need the part number for the LT14H41 This belt is the one that turns the blade, I have forgotten the specific name for it. Sorry about mentioning the model number in my subject line on 6/28 in my first post, but I have to say I would never have found this forum if it wasn't mentioned. I remember last year getting a belt it measurements were odd like 101"x 3/4. Snapper wont claim this mower on it's site, I am hitting a dead end. Plus I'm wondering If the belt falls off do I need new pulleys> Or as mine did for a year, just keep running. I didn't even have to engage the blade, it spun when the mower would run.

Last edited by Lindalou; 07-09-08 at 05:51 PM. Reason: revise inquiry
Old 07-09-08, 11:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't have the belt info for you, but generally the belt will have the number stamped on the back side of it and unless the belt is severely worn, it can usually be read. If the belt fell off, check the other pulleys to see what went wrong. Could be a number of reasons it came off.

Old 07-14-08, 03:08 AM
I found the part# at jackssmallengines.net/parts, It should be on it's way. The belt(s) (many replacements) fall off if I don't use the exact belt, and that belt keeps the blade going when the engine is running. I'd rather have that though! Thank's for the reply. God bless u2

Old 05-16-09, 07:44 AM
transaxle fluid help

I own a snapper Lt14H331KV (the hydro lawn tractor). My transaxle fluid is low and I need to know what kind of fluid to add. I talked to a guy at a local lawn shop, and he said 20w50. another person said 10w30. After hearing all of the horror stories of what could happen, I'm a bit spooked to try. Maybe I add the wrong oil and damage my tractor

Old 05-16-09, 09:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I use 20w-50 synthetic..........................