Adding a battery to Honda GX340 engine

Old 03-21-06, 08:26 AM
Adding a battery to Honda GX340 engine

Hi I have a Honda GX340 11HP engine with electric start(starter+solenoid). I always used the manual start since I never had it hooked to the battery. The manual shows how to add the battery but is there a way for the engine to chanrge the battery as well. Inthe wiring diagram I saw a rectifier. Could this be where battery charging leads should be connected. Also should there be a small regulator or is the rectifier producing adequate 12V dc charging?

Sincerely

Petar

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-06, 09:23 AM
These new engines have a alternator, Im new to this but I do know a rectieier is used to convert AC to DC. If you need a regulator, I cant answer that one but probably not.

Old 03-22-06, 01:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it came with electric start originally, it should have everything necessary to connect a battery and go. It's probably already all hooked up so that all you need to do is add the battery, unless it's been tampered with.

Old 03-26-06, 09:32 AM
Ok here is the update. I connected a gel cell deep cycle battery to the honda engine. The engine starts but the battery is not getting charged. I hooked the ground to one of the bolts retaining the switch box to the engine block. I hooked the positive to the starter solenoid as shown in the manual. I am looking for evidence of charging. At the rectifier(white and gray wire) the voltage is exactly the same as the battery voltage. Also at the rectifier the voltage shows 12.4 even before the engine starts. From experience I know that you need at least .5V higher voltage to assume the battery is beeing charged. So I need around 13V or so. Is there an adjustment to the rectifier or charging coil to increase the voltage?

Petar