husqvarna 136 races and dies

Old 03-21-06, 10:02 AM
husqvarna 136 races and dies

I took the saw in to have it checked when it started acting like this. He changed the spark plugs, the fuel filter, cleaned the air filter and said he did a tune up.
Got it home and it was still doing it. Called him and he said to try to adjust the low speed screw (he said if that didn't work it might be he rings and if so I would want to just get a new saw because of the cost of fixing it).

I adjusted the screw and it was still doing it a little but then after a few days it seemed to being working like it was supposed to so I forgot about it.
Now it is doing it again.

Here is what I have checked.

1) I notice air bubbles in the fuel line but the guy said that was normal
2) checked the spark plug and the powdery residue seems to indicate the engine is running right (there is no excess carbon or unusual appearance)
3) I notice the air filter is rather grimy so I scraped it enough to get most of the stuff off (I have tried testing it without the airfilter on)

Here are the symptoms
The saw seems to idle normally.
If the engine is just being started in the morning it may not always have the problem appear right away, it may take a little while of using the saw (but I don't think it is always like that).
If I pull the trigger all the way to run it on it's highest speed it will run for a few seconds ok then it starts racing really fast (I almost think the chain would fly off) then when it reaches a point it just dies. Now if I am listening I can let the trigger off as it sounds like it is going to die and the engine will return to idle without dying.

What could the problem be? The saw is only two years old and only really been used for a year. The first year I used it like maybe 3 days, this year it has been used heavily for clearing land.

Any ideas?
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-06, 02:07 PM
From all indications, it sounds as though you have an air leak in the intake system. Areas in this system that could be at fault are: Crank seals; Cylinder gasket; Crankcase gasket (if used); And, Intake manifold. I'm not certain but I strongly believe this unit has a rubber intake manifold and this would be the most likely suspect of the aforementioned and also based on the age and hours used. Whether it has unseated at the clamp(s) area or there is a crack or pin hole in it needs to be determined. In any case, look for an air leak here first. Reason: an air leak in the intake system creats a very lean mixture and thereby causes the engine to race and run erratically.

Old 03-22-06, 01:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree. Check from the carb to the cylinder for any places air can get in. Air leaks can also be prone to show up better when the engine has warmed which is also part of your symptom.

Old 03-22-06, 06:14 AM
What would cause this? Like I said it is only like 2 years old and one of those years it wasn't really used more than a couple of days. I thought Husqvarna was supposed to be an excellent brand.

Mike

Old 03-22-06, 08:18 AM
Husky saw

Originally Posted by MikeJ2006
What would cause this? Like I said it is only like 2 years old and one of those years it wasn't really used more than a couple of days. I thought Husqvarna was supposed to be an excellent brand.

Mike
Well Mike you bought the cheapest saw in the husky line I would call it a good saw but not an excellent saw you have to get to a 340 or higher to get to excellent. Your saw is rated for 50 hours of use. This saw runs at 12,000 to 13,000 rpm that causes a lot of heat that heat can dry out rubber parts nothing lasts for ever. In addition to what Cheese & Puey61 said it is likely that the carb needs to be rebuilt if it sat with old gas(older than 60 days) the carb is most likely all gummed up and the gaskets are dried out(after 2 years!) and not preforming correctly. The fuel line can also deteriorate and you could have an air leak in the fuel line this would stop fuel from getting to the carb.

Old 03-22-06, 09:58 AM
50 hours? That is the emission system.

The sticker has the text for the serial number, then across from it the serial number. The sticker then has the emission and across from it the 50 hours. The emission system will keep the emission at the stated level for up to 50 hours before it will stop working to specs, which means you start polluting a little more.

What manufacturer would waist time building a saw that only ran for 50 hours? That is less than 8 days of cutting for 6 hours a day. That would be about $23.75 a day, not counting gas. You could rent a saw and not be out for repairs.

There is no gummy parts and the fuel line is clean.
I don't store saws with oil and gas in them.

I suspect that it may have been caused by a time when the fuel was mixed to lean (engine oil and gas mixture). Would that do it?

Mike

Old 03-22-06, 06:23 PM
Husky saw

Originally Posted by MikeJ2006
I suspect that it may have been caused by a time when the fuel was mixed to lean (engine oil and gas mixture). Would that do it?

Mike
Yes that could do it. Check the compression. Remove the muffler and check the condition of the cylinder & piston.