Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

The most basic question

Visiting Guest

03-28-06, 06:53 PM   #1  
madesumshoes
The most basic question

OK. I just moved from the city to the country.

I have gone from a 12 x 12 patch of grass to 1.5 acres.

What is the best most economical rider mower I shud get. I have a hill at the end of the property.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanx

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

03-28-06, 07:11 PM   #2  
Personally, I would look for a riding mower with a 42" cutting deck. To figure true economy don't just look at the sticker price, but at the service, parts, and accessory availability. Also how many years you would like to keep the mower before repairs outweigh cost.
When we moved from a postage stamp to an acre and a half, I bought a basic Walmart type rider. After four years it was ready for the scrap heap
I then bought a Deere (cost about double the first mower) and after six years it's still going strong.
This is a good time to go shopping because many dealers are having spring sales.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-28-06, 09:18 PM   #3  
I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on this, which is what you asked for . My take is: dollars versus useable hours, you would do pretty well with a Craftsman mower with a kohler or japanese engine, and something in the GT series (larger, heavier duty, better quality). I also reccomend an electric clutch pto. Hydro transaxle is nice too, and seems to be a bit more dependable.

The larger Cub cadets, and some of the better Deeres, like the GT or LX series are also suitable. This will be a purchase that will reward you accordingly in a few years. The better of a mower you get, the less worry you'll have 4 or 5 years from now. Regardless, with 1.5 acres to mow, you will have a problem from time to time. Unless you intend to do this yourself, look at the service you will be recieving from the manufacturer/dealer. Big box stores don't have service departments for their equipment, and you'll be at their mercy during the warranty period, which is not a good place to be in my experience. Deere and Sears usually provide decent to excellent service to their customers.

Good luck with your purchase, and let us know what you choose. Let us know if we can help any further.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-29-06, 12:49 AM   #4  
wig
Posted By: madesumshoes OK. I just moved from the city to the country.

I have gone from a 12 x 12 patch of grass to 1.5 acres.

What is the best most economical rider mower I shud get. I have a hill at the end of the property.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanx
A flock of sheep or goats

Oh wait, you wanted a rider model, will have to be horse then.

NY

03-29-06, 02:50 AM   #5  
Just like buying a car, you need to weigh all the options. Also check out Toro/Wheel Horse, Simplicity, Snapper & Ariens for your better "consumer" machines and if your budget allows, check out names such as Ferris, Exmark, Scag & Grasshopper for their consumer-grade zero-turn mowers.

Search this Thread