Yardman Rear Wheels Locked

Old 03-30-06, 08:49 AM
Yardman Rear Wheels Locked

Hi guys,

This is a great resource.

I have a Yardman 17.5 HP lawn tractor with a hydrostatic trans. I read the earlier post about locked wheels and thoughgt it might help, but that machine was a variable/pulley transaxle. My problem is that the rear wheels are locked (actually they turn about 1/2", so I'm assuming the problem is with the transaxle). It behaves as if it were locked in gear, but without the ability to force the whole drivetrain to turn if I pushed hard enough.

Stuff I've Done: there is a small lever in the rear for disengaging the transaxle to move (roll) the mower - tried that, didn't do anything. Tried all the controls in various engage/disengage configs, started the engine, put in F and R and upon releasing the pedal, it would stall.

I figured maybe a frozen brake, which I'm looking at now, but I figured with all I've done it would have broken free by now.

possible clue - The machine itself did sit (covered) outside for the winter - it was one of last year's models - so I'm assuming there is the possibility something is sticking...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-06, 02:48 AM
I'd still say the brakes are hanging up. The 1/2" of movement is lash at all the moving parts involved in the drive train, which all tranny's will have.

Old 04-03-06, 09:42 AM
Fixed!

Thanks Puey,

I played around with it a little more and turns out it was the "clutch" connecting rod - the lever wasn't actuating all the way, and was stuck about 1/2 way engaged. Once I popped it by hand and moved it a few times, it worked great.

Considering I got the unit unused for less than 1/2 of "new", I'm pretty psyched. I can't stand the throw-away society...

Thanks for the help.

-T

Old 04-15-06, 06:26 PM
Wheels locked

I have a yardman 17 hp. Mine is about four years old I read a thread yesterday and one person had your problem he found it was the rod connecting the brake/clutch was out of adjustment.
I am having a problem removing my blades for sharpening any ideas? Hope this helps.

Old 04-16-06, 06:55 AM
Yardman 17hp Lawn Tractor

Usually what works for me is to stabilize the blade with a wood wedge (or screwdriver if there is a brace hole - not sure) and then try to break the fastener free with a socket and breaker bar (if necessary).

If it's really corroded, Naval Jelly works wonders - just let it sit for a while.

-TJ

BTW, anyone know where I can get the mulching kit for the 42" deck for a reasonable cost?

Old 04-17-06, 05:11 AM
Mulch kits are brand specific, so, what brand machine do you have?