kohler 16hp ohv charging problems

Old 03-31-06, 04:40 PM
Angry kohler 16hp ohv charging problems

My kohler motor is not charging. I checked the rectifier it is fine. My
stator wires get hot. They are hot enough to burn your finger. Is that
normal or is something wrong. I did a test on the stator, when i hooked
an ohm meter to them it read 0 ohms, that was the 2 wires together.
when i did stator wire to ground test the meter did not move for both
wires. when i did a test to see if the stator was putting out it barely
registered. What could be the problem is the stator burned out?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-06, 01:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello bigfoot39,

Did you check the output voltage from each leg to ground, in AC mode? Does this engine have a regulator?

Old 04-01-06, 05:25 AM
Post back with the following information: 1-Engine ID numbers (model, spec., & serial). 2-Specific wire and connector colors (from the stator as well as the regulator). 3-The type of tester you have.

Old 04-05-06, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by puey61
Post back with the following information: 1-Engine ID numbers (model, spec., & serial). 2-Specific wire and connector colors (from the stator as well as the regulator). 3-The type of tester you have.
ok the spec#43513 model#cv165 ser#2811905651 if you need the family# it is skh426u1g2rb. the stator has 2 white wires going to a 3 prong connector the 3 prong connector plugs into the rectifier. the connector has 1 brown 1 white and 1 black. the brown and white go to another connector which has 2 yellow wires. the brown and white wires are the ones that get red hot to the touch. I used a meter but it is one of those meters that you have to double up on the numbers to get the reading if you know what i mean.

Old 04-05-06, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by cheese
Hello bigfoot39,

Did you check the output voltage from each leg to ground, in AC mode? Does this engine have a regulator?
Hi cheese, no i checked the output of the 2 wires together with a meter,but reading the meter is a little confusing since you have to double the numbers to find out what it is.. but it does have a regulator if thats what it is called. Its the one where the 2 stator wires go to it. it has 3 prongs. look in this link for the pic that has this #25-755-03 that is what it looks like.[URL="http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_voltage_regulator.htm

Old 04-05-06, 05:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the battery on it bad? If so, it may be getting hot because of the amperage going to a shorted battery. If your battery is good, and you have no shorts, I would suspect the rectifier is bad. You'll have to get accurate readings at a few different places with a good meter before you can condem anything for sure.

Old 04-11-06, 05:03 PM
Talking found problem with charging system

hey cheese & puey61,

I found the problem with the charging system. It was the light relay. When I took the relay off, the mower started charging again. Now everything works fine. That is also why the wires were getting hot. Now I need to find out if it is the relay or if it has something to do with the wiring for the lights. Do yall know how to check the relay.

Old 04-12-06, 01:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can pop the plastic cover off the relay and usually see the problem (rust, dirt, etc...). When the relay terminal going to the relay coil has 12 volts and the ground leg has ground, the contact points should close on one side, and there should be continuity on the terminals corresponding to those contact points. Then, when the coil voltage is removed, the contact point should move back to the other contact point, and you should have continuity across the corresponding terminals for those as well. This is on a double acting relay, which I'm fairly sure you have there.

Old 04-17-06, 10:44 AM
relay

Hey Cheese I checked the relay. You were right all 3 of them were rusty and corroded. I was able to clean 2 of them, the other was to far gone, but that was the one for the lights. Since I dont use the lights, i didnt put one back on it. Anyway thanks for the help.

Old 04-18-06, 01:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed!