Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

engine failure when turning

04-03-06, 05:44 AM   #1  
engine failure when turning

ive just finished upgrading my go kart going from a 3.5hp to 6.5 hp engine, everythings working fine, however when turning to the right causes the engine to fail and stop working, engine in question is a 6.5 hp dek,(or D J) engine horizontal shaft, its basically a chinese copy of a honda engine, i had no problems with the 3.5 hp honda it previously had,

the new motor is mounted on a slight backward angle (which is different then the 3.5), i can pull hard left hand turns with no problem, its just when u turn right with even a small amount of speed, slow crawl speed is fine
plenty of fuel in it as well.

the only thing i can think of is when turning right the fuel is sloshing up against the side of the float messing round with it, but i didnt think that would matter since theres not much fuel and only a small area for it. any ideas as to wats the problem

regards

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

04-04-06, 06:02 PM   #2  
I have seen some engines/carbs. act funny when the engine is mounted with a 5 degree angle and have real roubles when run at a 15 degree angle. The angle of your engine the g-forces in the turn and where the float is hinged can make a difference.

You can add a fuel pump and a different carb (diaphram style).

The float position in the carb can be sensitive to mounting the engine on an angle. You can try adjusting the float position to live with the engine angle but I don't have any ideas to help with turning right. Adjusting it to turn one direction only is easier.

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 04-04-06 at 06:22 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-04-06, 09:47 PM   #3  
It's probably a carb problem as mentioned, but another thing to check is the low-oil sentry if it is so equipped. The oil could be sloshing away from it, and it could be killing the ignition because of it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-05-06, 04:16 AM   #4  
thanks

thanks for that, ill have a play around with it tomorrow
cheers

04-06-06, 03:39 AM   #5  
thanks cheese, disconnected the oil alert and its running fine now, just have to keep an eye on the oil level now

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-06-06, 11:01 PM   #6  
Great! Glad we could help!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread