Allis Chalmers 912 Hydro motor upgrade question?

Old 04-06-06, 06:18 AM
Cool Allis Chalmers 912 Hydro motor upgrade question?

I have recently purchased another kohler engine, with more hp, to upgrade my existing 12hp K301 engine. I purchased the whole mower as a matter of fact. I believe it is the 917 Hydro but I can't locate any numbers on the thing. It's another cast iron "beast" of the K17 twin cylinder flavor.....LOL...... Has anyone here ever upgraded this mowers engine, the 912 HYdro that is, from the 12 horse to the twin cylinder 17 horse before? Just wondering what kind of problems I should expect or other possible problems I might expect to have before I try to lug that heavy motor around. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-06, 02:58 AM
I doubt you'll find anyone who has done this. So, things you'll likely need to consider: Is the footprint the same mounting pattern?; Does the twin have identical PTO arrangements?; Do you have the room in the engine compartment?; The wiring likely is different and you will need to re-wire yourself (and you better have knowledge of advanced OPE wiring); Is the crankshaft diameter and length the same?; You will have to likely reconfigure the control cable arrangements. These are just a few things I could think of that might present a stumbling block. Good luck and let us know.

Old 04-07-06, 06:25 AM
Thanks.......And......

Any idea as to the identification of the engine? The only numbers I can find are on the triangular shaped carberator breather assembly. It say's..... "Twin 17". Someone has evidently removed the engine cowling that contains the model and spec numbers. They may have painted over them. I just can't locate them. With any luck, I'll find them soon. Thanks.

Old 04-07-06, 08:20 AM
Here is a link to Small Engine Warehouse and what they offer as to replacement motors for your tractor, plus some info:

http://smallenginewarehouse.com/Repo...mers&Model=912

Old 04-07-06, 02:24 PM
The only need for the ID numbers will be to determine specifically what charging/lighting system you have but that is the least of your concerns right now. First, is to visually see if the thing will fit up, then, worry about the wiring.