deere lawn tractor tire flat

Old 04-14-06, 07:19 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
deere lawn tractor tire flat

I have an L110 john deere lawn tractor and one of the rear tires is flat. There's a yellow rubber cap I can't get off and I don't want to ruin it, Is there a specific way of getting these tires off or just use plyers or screwdrivers to remove the cap? I added aire last year each time but it went flat after several hours and I want to relace the tire.

thanks

Old 04-14-06, 07:58 PM
Yellow cap in the middle? Try some pliers, but before you do that, I'd give some Slime a try, you can get it at auto parts stores, wal mart, etc. Don't use fix a flat, its caustic, slime is good to deal with the leaks, seals em good and keeps sealing new ones, BUT when the wheel has to come off, it is a little messy.

Old 04-15-06, 06:01 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Slime or other similar products are a LOT messy and not very effective. They aren't very useful in low speed applications as there is no benefit of centrifigul force to displace the goop well. For a cost little more than the slime, buy a inner tube to fit your size tire and be done with it. Yes, this is a bit more work than simply emptying a can of slime but the end result is much better. As for getting the tire off, the plastic cap, which is a dust cap by description, will likely have to be ruined to be removed. Not that you have to have one anyhow as they're more of a dust and moisture trap than a cap.

Old 04-15-06, 08:12 AM
They've formulated slime to be used in lawn and garden equipment, and it did work in my mowers tires..... 5 minutes of running around in the highest gear.... go to check a week later.... tire is still at the 10psi that I filled it to, 2 months and its still at the 10psi.

Old 04-15-06, 11:46 AM
Slime or other similar products are a LOT messy and not very effective.
I have a lawn tractor that has severly dri-rotted side walls on all four tires. I placed the recommended quantity of Slime in the rears and split a bottle between the two front tires. The sidewalls were so bad that after the treatment there were green patches on the sides of the tires! I have not had to air these tires up in the last three years. Yes, Slime is messy, but it works wonders in my opinion. I will not vouch for the other copycat brands out there. They do not compare in my opinion.
They aren't very useful in low speed applications as there is no benefit of centrifigul force to displace the goop well.
Centrifugal force is not really a factor here. The slow rotation of the tire while mowing is enough to cover the sidewalls and tread face. The combination of the liquid and the leaking air forces the sealer through the hole. The condition that Slime will not work for is where the leak is between the wheel and the bead.
There's a yellow rubber cap I can't get off and I don't want to ruin it,
If it's a soft vinyl cap, try getting a fingernail under the edge and roll it back upon itself. It should slip off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: