KGro Riding Lawnmower won't start.

Old 04-09-06, 04:38 PM
KGro Riding Lawnmower won't start.

I have a Kgro (When K-Mart sold these),Riding mower, 18HP, Briggs and Straton engine,(model 422707, type 152901, Code 9411095A) that won't start. Battery is charged fUll... I try to crank it and AMP meter on mower reads in Negative and Engine will not turn over.
Is this solenoid problem?
Thanks in advance
Will

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-06, 06:01 PM
If the engine is turning over, then the solenoid should be good, if not try and short across the solenoid posts with a screwdriver (it'll spark, so make sure no gas is spilled or you smell gas) if it turns over then its the solenoid (put the key in the run position so the engine will run, if not then test for spark, if you have no spark, try it without the kill wire hooked to the coil, still no spark then its the coil, if you do get spark, then its probablly a bad safety switch, if you get spark off the bat, try some gas or starting fluid down the carb, if it runs off that, then its either the carb needs a rebuild, or gas is not getting to the carb.

Old 04-09-06, 11:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Probably a solenoid, but check it out first. This is probably an AYP product. If so, the solenoid is probably between the engine and the steering column on the side of the mower frame under the dash area. It probably has two smaller wires going to it, and two large wires. One of the smaller plugged-on wires is the hot wire and should give you a reading of 12 volts when you turn the key, provided all safety switches are in their proper positions. If so, and the solenoid doesnt click when you turn the key, then replace it. If the solenoid does click, check for voltage on the starter cable. If no voltage, replace the solenoid. If there is voltage, you have starter problems.

If you don't have 12 volts going to the small trigger wire on the solenoid, then you have a problem in the rest of the mower electrical system.

Old 04-12-06, 06:33 AM
Still a Problem!

Installed NEW solenoid and still have same problem.
When I turn key it clicks and every once in a while Trys to turn over but won't.....NE ideas?

Old 04-12-06, 10:53 AM
How old is the battery? Make sure the cables at the battery are not corroded, and are nice and tight..., also make sure the cable from the battery to the frame has good contact... and the cable to the starter isn't oily and is nice and tight...., just practially go over all the connections wiggling them, making sure they are tight and all.

Old 04-13-06, 12:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm thinking battery too. You stated it was charged full, but what means are you checking it by?

Old 04-13-06, 02:56 AM
Can you turn the engine over by hand? In other words, is the engine seized? Just something else to consider.

Old 04-13-06, 05:03 AM
No Manual Pull cord BUT

I can rotate it by hand...does not appear to be locked up.
Battery is new from last year and I had charger on it for full day to make sure. Batttery has suffiecient water in it.....

It acts like it wants to turn over every couple of times when I turn key .....

Old 04-13-06, 11:32 AM
Just make sure, what brand battery? I havn't had good luck with everstarts..,take a peek at the starter gear, make sure its engaging when you do turn it over...

Old 04-13-06, 12:38 PM
Ok willoverton303 "IF" you know that the battery is good and hooked up right(red to + black to -),cables are clean and alt is putting out.And you've said you have replaced the solenoid.

Sitting here thinking..........have you tryed taking the spark plugs out and trying to spin the engine over???If the engines spins without any trouble with plugs out then,you have a bad compression release.Which is on the inside of the engine block,bummer!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-06, 03:06 PM
Repair brought up good points. Be absolutely certain the start-circuit (battery) cable connections (six total) are clean and secure. Then we'll go from there.

Old 04-13-06, 04:25 PM
Battery is new from last year and I had charger on it for full day to make sure. Battery has sufficient water in it.....
A year is a lifetime for many lawn and garden size batteries. Many brands sold at the MegaMart and HomeCenter type stores are bearly adequate when new, much less when they have sat unused for a few months. You can usually have a battery checked for free at the auto parts store.