Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How much is a used Troy Bilt riding mower worth?

04-09-06, 05:26 PM   #1  
How much is a used Troy Bilt riding mower worth?

Hello all! I currently own a Scotts riding lawn mower that is in need of a new deck ($320 quoted) and a new carburetor, as it wonít stay running once started now. We have had it worked on several times the past two summers and feel that it is best to just retire this guy. My neighbor has a 21 HP, 42Ē cut Troy Bilt that is about 4-6 years old that she is wanting to sell. She wants about $700 for it. I do not know if it is worth that much, since I have no clue if mowers hold their value like cars do. I have no clue what she paid for it, nor do I know the model number right now. She has taken good care of it, had it shed kept and sprayed it off after each use. I do not know how often or if it was ever serviced before. We have used it several times since ours pretty much hasnít worked for the past two summers. We are currently selling/ buying a home and trying to pay off the bills that we have now, so we really didnít want to create another bill by buying one brand new mower. Does anyone know if Troy Biltís hold their value and can hang in there for the Ďlong haulí (lasting potential)? Does anyone know of a website that might give some value to used riding mowers? Should we just bite the bullet and buy brand new? I have done a little research on the Internet on new ones and it seems like John Deere, Husqvarna and Cub Cadet are rated the best so far from what I have seen. Anyone have any good advice for us? Any feedback will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!

New to lawn care

Sponsored Links

04-09-06, 05:58 PM   #2  
$700 sounds good if it was taken care of, the troybilts MTD cheaper brother (bolens) sells about that new, cub cadet is the same brand (mtd). I'm just not excited about the quality of john deeres being sold at hd and lowes, and the toro's being sold there are just relabled and hooded mtds. Husqvarnas pretty good, electrolux owns them, ayp (owned by electrolux) makes the sears craftsmans..... basically we are paying for the name these days anyway...., but I'd say $700 sounds good, you might can try and bargain with her and get it down maybe too. Do you happen to know the brand of engine?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-09-06, 11:54 PM   #3  
I won't say that's not a fair asking price, but personally I'd pass. A mower with no background info, 5 years old, and just a cheapie consumer grade product isn't worth more than 1/2 the price it was when new, if that.

If you're looking for a mower for the long haul, that's probably not the one.

The mid and top end AYP mowers (Husquvarna, Craftsman, etc...) and Cub cadets are a bit more respectable. I still maintain that craftsman mowers are generally a pretty decent value as far as dollars versus hours of use. If your pockets are a little deeper, you could look into more expensive and higher quality name brands. Note: more expensive does not mean better, but better usually means more expensive.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-10-06, 05:49 AM   #4  
Yeah, I was thinking that the used mower isn't a good deal. She first only wanted $200 for it, but listened to her brother when he thought that it was worth more money.

Thanks for your reply and your thoughts. We do own a Husqvarna weed eater and like it a lot. We might just stick with that brand then!

Thanks again!

04-10-06, 05:52 AM   #5  
I beleive it is a Briggs and Stratton. I should have looked at it more closely when we had it at the house yesterday. She will let us use it for our lawn still, but I would rather have one of our own at this point. I was really looking for a model number on it and didn't see one. Where should I look for that? Any suggestions?

04-10-06, 11:12 AM   #6  
I can't remember for mtds.... but if you could get it for 4 or $500, I'd get it... man don't you hate her brother? $200 would have been a steal.... Things to ask about is oil changes, filter changes and just general care.... if these things are good, only then would I buy it... btw, oil changes in hours.... every 25 hours specifically...

04-10-06, 01:40 PM   #7  
I asked my husband today if he knew of changing of the oil and he knew of only two times and this was when her husband was still around. Needless to say, he has been gone about 2 years now. So I am pretty sure that it has far surpassed the 25 hour mark! I am thinking that I should pass on this one and just buy brand new! Yes, the brother should have just stayed out of it! Oh well. It will end up getting stolen before too long. She just moved to a new place and only has it under a tarp at the new place. Oh well! Her loss! Thanks for the reply!

04-10-06, 06:48 PM   #8  
Yeah.... unless she got a shop or a friend to do it, its well beyond that!!, I'm with cheese, craftsmans (and ayp brands like husqvarna and poulan/weedeater mowers) are still made good...., not to mention that sears has a great warranty!!, as on the mower now..., it might end up being stolen, keys for em are a dime a dozen as well, and keeping it under a tarp is not a great idea either without letting it breath... (condensation)

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-10-06, 10:29 PM   #9  
hehe...now 200 bucks would have been another story! Oh well. Maybe 4 or 500 like V8driver said. Even then, you'd want to get a pretty good idea of condition beforehand, and buy with the idea that you will be replacing in a few years.

If you go with a new mower, may I suggest one with an electric PTO and a Hydro tranny? Both of these are a bit more, and cost more to replace when they fail, but they seem to be more durable and reliable in my experience. This translates to less down time and money saved on repairs.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-11-06, 05:18 AM   #10  
Thanks Cheese for the suggestion. I was talking to a co-worker of mine yesterday about the situation. He used to sell tractors and he suggested the same thing you did (the hydrostatic tranny), so it looks like we will just be biting the bullet and buying new. We will borrow the neighbor's until we are ready to make the final decision on the brand/ model, or until she tells us no. We are leaning towards Husqvarna at the moment. We own one of their weed trimmers and know that it has a great rep. I appreciate your comments guys- V8drver and Cheese!! Thanks again!

Search this Thread