Pressure washer, what to buy?

Old 04-11-06, 09:26 AM
Toddler
Visiting Guest
Pressure washer, what to buy?

I didn't see any "newbie" posts on this topic.

I've got a two-story vinyl siding house with a fair amount of mildew that badly needs a pressure washing, and I have little idea of where to begin.

- I have an electric 1750 PSI model that I've never used (Home Depot, $99 on Black Friday sale). Is that enough pressure to do the job?

- If not, then what would you guys recommend? I see prices for gas units ranging from $250-$800 and I'm sure they even go up from there.

- How do I reach the top half of the house? I'm not going to deal with scaffolding or ladders. What about these extention wands? Looks like they go up to 20 feet long. Would those work on the electric unit I already have?

Sorry that these are such basic questions. I'm just not very experienced at maintaining a home, but I'm working to get there.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-06, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
I know this is diy.com, but you might consider getting an estimate from a pressure wash company; it may be more cost-effective to have it done. One story would be different.

Old 04-11-06, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't believe you can effectively wash anything much more than 10' off the ground without using a ladder.

Old 04-12-06, 10:30 AM
gsr
Spray angle...

Depending on your siding you want to be carefull not to spray upwards at an angle - you can force water up behind the siding which will lead to possible rot and other water problems behind the siding.

Old 04-12-06, 12:33 PM
Toddler
Visiting Guest
For $300 I can have the house done by a pro. For $150 I can buy a 20-foot telescoping extension wand that lets me reach the roofline and also gives me the correct angle so I'm not spraying up under the siding. I'm not opposed to paying someone to do it, but if the extension wands work then I'd probably give that a shot first.

Old 04-12-06, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Toddler
For $300 I can have the house done by a pro. For $150 I can buy a 20-foot telescoping extension wand that lets me reach the roofline and also gives me the correct angle so I'm not spraying up under the siding. I'm not opposed to paying someone to do it, but if the extension wands work then I'd probably give that a shot first.
I would load the hi-powered water gun with bleach,soak,then rinse.Seriously,300 sounds reasonable,unless you just gotta have a real pressure washer.

the rubes

Old 04-18-06, 04:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have an electric washer like yours.. Our 2 story home gets covered with fishflies every spring.. Standing on a stepladder to reach the top eaves my washer did a pretty good job.. I like the electric because I can take it to the roof to wash that when needed.. The lower pressure of it doesn't wash the stones off the shingles..

Search this Thread