Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bolting down engine

MI

04-12-06, 08:45 AM   #1  
Bolting down engine

Im hopefully going to get this sawmill project done soon and have a question about mounting the engine. Its a 12.5 hp briggs verticle shaft engine. I was wondering if I should just bolt it right to the frame or should I have it sitting on some type of rubber pad to absorb the vibration? My dad has a generator with a 8hp engine and it all bolts to rubber blocks.

I would appreciate anyones thoughts.

Sponsored Links

04-12-06, 10:57 AM   #2  
You can mount it right to the frame... BUT some did come with rubber isolating pads, like what generators use and such. You'd probablly just get a tad more vibration without them, you would probablly have to use longer bolts as well.

MI

04-12-06, 02:58 PM   #3  
I guess I'll just bolt it down unless someone else come with a reason not to. The generator vibrates likes you wouldnt beleive. I ran this engine, not at full throttle and it ran fairly smooth but I guess if I need to I can always put rubber on latter.

04-12-06, 05:24 PM   #4  
I assume you are talking about a band type sawmill that is popular now. You will have to mount it solidly. If you don't, the blade will wander and probably jump off the wheel. The blade wheel alignment is fairly critical to getting a good clean cut.

MI

04-12-06, 07:12 PM   #5  
It is a band saw type, its all home made, or will be if I get it done. The engine belt drives a 90 degree gear box then a chain drive to the wheel.

04-13-06, 03:24 AM   #6  
The engine belt drives a 90 degree gear box then a chain drive to the wheel.
If that's the case, then a rubber mounting secure enough to maintain belt alignment will work fine.

PA

04-13-06, 08:14 AM   #7  
Posted By: JLOpower If that's the case, then a rubber mounting secure enough to maintain belt alignment will work fine.
Totally agree with the above, if driving a gear box by belt, then vibe isolators are fine to use.

NY

04-13-06, 03:19 PM   #8  
Using rubber mounts is not necessary and I don't recommend it at all. Rubber mounts are used on gens due to the fragile windings in the stator of the generator assembly.

Search this Thread