Blade removal

Old 04-14-06, 01:42 PM
Blade removal

Hi I just bought a used Yardman 17 hp 42" lawn tractor. I am trying to remove the dual blades to sharpen them but I am not getting anywhere. Dose anyone know if there is something I missed? You guessed it no manual. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-06, 09:25 PM
Try these links for support. Looks like they have manuals available for download in the first link I provided.

MTD/Yardman--same thing? This site lists parts and support for both machines.

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/public/list.jsp

http://support.mtdproducts.com/cgi-b...er/std_alp.php

Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-06, 05:49 AM
There's nothing special about removing blade bolts, just that they're probably stubborn. They are a standard right-hand thread and you likely will need to keep each blade from turning by way of a block of wood and then using a breaker bar type handle with the correct socket size (should be 9/16" in the center and 1/2" on the two outside ones) for good leverage. I suggest using anti-seize on the threads before reinstalling each bolt/nut.

Old 04-15-06, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Actually, I think this one will have a 15/16" flanged nut holding the blades on. They are hard to break loose, but the method with a block of wood and a pull handle should work.

Old 04-16-06, 11:09 PM
I use an pneumatic drill (cannot remember their name!).

Don't even need to block the blades, the hammer action of the drill does the work. Before that, I often had to pull the deck and turn it over in order to get enough leverage on it.