Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 5.3hp lawnmower went in smoke and white rubbery discharge on a muffler

04-17-06, 02:43 PM   #1  
Craftsman 5.3hp lawnmower went in smoke and white rubbery discharge on a muffler

About 30 min in to mowing a loan, my Craftsman 5.3 Eager1 went in smoke and I saw white rubbery discharge on a muffler.
Muffler was extremely hot and I was worried the whole thing going to go in flames.
I am probably overreacting, but I donít have allot of experience with lawnmowers. Iíve red some topics about smoke and oil in the muffler but nobody mentioned anything about this rubbery stuff.
Anybody has any ideas on what's happened?

Sponsored Links

04-17-06, 09:05 PM   #2  
2 cycle? That rubbery stuff is more then likely burned and gummed up oil. By hot, was it glowing red?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-18-06, 01:15 AM   #3  
Did it shut itself off? Is it full of oil? I can't think of anything that would be rubbery coming from the exhaust. My best guess would be something plastic got onto the exhaust and melted onto it, or the engine got hot enough to melt a plastic shroud and it dripped onto the exhaust?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-18-06, 06:30 AM   #4  
Thanks for your replies

It was not red-hot just hot. When I removed a muffler it had this white rubbery buildup all over it. It feels like plastic.
I am pretty sure I canít use this muffler anymore.

BTW, How do I tell 2 cycle from 4 cycle?

Thanks once again

04-18-06, 11:04 AM   #5  
You could burn the muffler out, but its safer to replace it.. you can tell if its a 2 cycle if the oil is mixed with the gas.

Search this Thread