Mtd Rideon Disengage Adjustment

Old 04-30-06, 08:13 PM
Gmasharon
Visiting Guest
Mtd Rideon Disengage Adjustment

CAN YOU HELP OUT A SINGLE GRANNY?
I have an MTD rideon mower Model number 13AU69YH088
1999 600-699 series

I purchase DRIVE belt number 0754-0439. and installed it.

The belt went on fine, but when I tried to start the mower the belt was so tight it would not turn over.

I shortened the disengagement rod, but when I test drove it, the belt burned off before I could get it back to the garage. less than in 3 min or less.

Is there a basic gage as to how loose the belt needs to be when the mower deck is in the full up position? I really hate spending another 30 buck and burning it up again...

Can one of you nice guys help me?

Grandma Sharon

Old 05-01-06, 01:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Are you certain that the belt was routed correctly, and not riding over any of the belt keepers? The belt should be loose when turned off, and tight when turned on. No certain rule of thumb other than that. Was it working fine before belt replacement?

Old 05-01-06, 03:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The only way to burn up a belt that fast is if it is rubbing on a stationary object. Belts that are too tight don't burn up like that, they seperate or break suddenly. To find your problem, look for the evidence. I am sure if you inspect the bottom of your mower, you will find lots of burnt belt material exactly where the belt was rubbing and that is where you need to focus. Be careful that you are putting the belts on the correct sides of the pulleys and inside of all those belt guides [Those metal rods that hang down near the pulleys.] and pulley guides. [They are clips that keep the belts in the pulleys.]

One thing I will mention, when I installed a snowblower on my MTD built machine, I found that MTD pictured all the belt route illustrations looking down from above. [The mower instructions are the same way.] Handy if you have X-ray vision but adds to the difficulty of changing the belts. The thing is, you can only install the belts from the bottom up. So you have to carefully interpret the illustrations with that in mind.

Old 05-01-06, 10:12 AM
Gmasharon
Visiting Guest
Thank you both for your replies, I greatly appreciate them.

Yes the new belt I installed was inside the keepers, and yes it worked find before I changed the belt. However a stick got jammed into the front of the drive belt when the kids were driving the mower, but not mowing they did not stop. It was jammed so hard it killed the engine. At that point I had a large chunk out of the belt which caused it to break, which is why I changed it.

I have tried putting another old belt on and mowing, problem is that the old belt is stretched. I adjusting the engagement rod out all the way. It stayed engaged even in the top position in the beginning (I also noticed that when it is turning it turns fast for a few minutes then does a couple of very slow rotations, then back up to speed ) but as soon as I started to mow in position one, if any grass debris gets caught it at all, it will not turn, gets hot and stretches even more.

Since this is the drive belt it is simply around 2 pulleys the front and the rear, and inside the keepers. The new belt seemed thick to me, but I am sure it because it was not streghted or burned.

Any more ideas?

Old 05-02-06, 01:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Check your pulleys for damage. Sounds like one may be bent. The belts you have won't stretch. They may get thin and ride deeper in the pulleys, making them looser, but if they stretch, they break. If it seems as though a belt is stretching, it is an indication of another problem.

Old 05-02-06, 01:31 PM
Gmasharon
Visiting Guest
Cheese? What other possible problem.????.. the reason I said stretched, it that when I measure the old one I took off ( very thin and wore) it is longer than the one I just bought! and the one I brought as well as the old one both have the same numbers. What else could it be?

Old 05-02-06, 02:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Exactly how did you measure it? With a belt measuring device, based on the ID or the outside circumference? If you measured with a tape rule, perhaps it's just a matter of a slight mismeasurement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: