Rototiller Problems

Old 04-17-06, 07:05 PM
Rototiller Problems

Hi there

I have a 1974 Matercraft rototiller with a 5HP B&S engine. The model # is 130202 0135-01 74052907. It was previously owned by my father in law and he says it has ran great up until last spring and has been sitting idle until now. I have replaced the coil that uses points with an electronic one that does not. I also put new gas in and managed to get it running. It runs fairly well in idle but when I engage the tillers and start to dig in it stalls out. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-06, 09:14 PM
You can try and adjust the carb, But being that old, I'd rebuild the carb anyway....

Old 04-18-06, 04:27 AM
Thanks

Thanks for responding.
I had to play with the fuel adjustment a bit to get it to start and idle better. It seemed to help.

Old 04-19-06, 01:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The carb probably needs cleaning at the least, but you can try backing otu the screw under the bowl a little to see if that helps it bog in a little better.

Old 04-19-06, 04:02 AM
Pardon Cheese, he had a hectic day at his shop. This is a diaphragm type carburetor, the only adjustment (fuel-wise) is located on the right hand side of the carburetor (as facing the choke end of the carb). Try backing this out 1/4 turn.

Old 04-19-06, 04:29 AM
Thanks

Thanks for responding

Yesterday I replaced the black diaphram inside the carb that controls the fuel flow. I had to play with the fuel setting some more because of this replacement. Unfortunately it still stalls out under load. This model has the fuel tank mounted under the carb and it looks like there is a metal inlet tube that pertrudes down from the carb into the tank to syphon gas. Is there a filter in this tube?

Thanks
Gord

Old 04-19-06, 10:13 AM
Yes, there's little mesh screens at the end of them.

Old 04-19-06, 08:21 PM
to pre-adjust fuel mixture turn it all the way in then back it out 2 and one half turns start engine then slowly turn screw back in it should reach a peak speed keep turning until engine starts to lag then back it back out until it smooths out.....also on some of these type engines dirt daubers like to build in the vent hole it will run in idle but not full throttle also fuel cap could be stopped up if it is the vent style if not look for a stopped up vent on carb...the best thing to do most likely is to rebuild carb...be sure to check fuel tank cap first...loosen it a little and see if it will do the trick...

Old 04-20-06, 12:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oops! Sorry, I could have sworn I read that this was an old tecumseh. They say your mind is the second thing to go. I forget what the first thing is, lol!! Joking...

Search this Thread