Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton are falling apart

04-18-06, 11:01 AM   #1  
Briggs & Stratton are falling apart

Hi! I bought used this Craftsman 3.5 HP side port mower that has a Briggs & Stratton 3.5 Faststart motor. Used 2 seasons and now the thing dropped a bolt that held the carbueretor/fuel assembly to the sheet metal piece that fastens on the front of the mower at the throttle attachment. This is GONE . This permitted the bolt that holds the whole assembly on the side of the block to work loose and the assembly to come off most of the way. I put it back on and tightened fairly tight and put a nylon tie thru the front thing. Now the nylon cut through, the bolt loosened again and now the spacer for that is also GONE I looked for Sears part numbers but found a brick wall. The motor they showed with my model # did not even look anything like what I had. Tried Briggs & Stratton web site but got fed up.

Found you through Google and now looking for answers on where to get and specs for bolts (and I presume lock washers), a new spacer or dimensions to cut my own from a piece of pipe. In desperate need of help here, as my neighbors are eyeing my crop with some distate.

Ideas on where to go from here on a shoestring.

Sponsored Links

04-18-06, 11:10 AM   #2  
Next time use some blue threadlocker.... they can get loose if the bolt holes threads are worn or stripped some, or just put in loose to begin with..., usually a small engine shop should have parts like this.... and are cheap. Whats the model,type, and code?
And by" bought used this" was it bought used or new? if new then any warranty?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-19-06, 01:38 AM   #3  
Really, it sounds to me like you have worse problems, like a bent crankshaft or out of balance blade at the least. I think vibration is an issue here. Ever hit a stump or brick (something hard) with it? Any small engine shop should have these spacers and bolts laying around. They are common. The bolt is 5/16" and about 2 1/2" long for the big one, and the smaller one is 1/4" and about 1/2" long.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

04-19-06, 04:06 AM   #4  
Also, it sounds as though the threads are beyond the service of Loctite and would require new threads be installed. But, if, as Cheese mentioned, you have a severely bent crankshaft, you'll likely want to kick tires and replace this unit.

04-19-06, 08:53 AM   #5  
Runs like a bandit!

Hi! Thank you all for the info and opinions on my used mower.
Am sure I hit something in the remote past. Blade isn't loose now that I got a big enough washer but it was slipping on the dog before the washer after that event. A little scraping on the start up but it goes away.

The head banging was for not using loktite-R in the first place and for not replacing the 1/4" Bolt or lock washers at that time (thanks for the info). I am not big into PM but that was STUPID . I will find a small engine shop for the spacer - I think I bought this thing off a guy with a sign out who ran one from his garage - for $50 - but it was on some back road. It still runs good and cuts good when it is running. So the question is whether I take my life in my hands starting it up again, and whether it's worth a couple bucks in a bolt, spacer, lock washers, and lok-tite . After all, I have a huge capital outlay to protect here.

No blue smoke and the oil looks clean. A little excess vibration but the thing runs fast, and I like it that way as I cut a half acre in about 30 min. so I am likely to run into something again literally.

04-19-06, 10:17 AM   #6  
New or old blade? A old out of balance blade will make it vibrate alot... other then that, I'd make sure that crank isn't bent. Visually inspecting it by looking at while turning over the engine should show you how bad if it is.

04-20-06, 09:31 AM   #7  
Blade bent up - Thanks

The crank turns smoothly, but the blade is bent. I did not notice it before. Thanx

04-20-06, 10:09 AM   #8  
GOOD that you caught it in time..... hopefully hasn't done anything .... replace the blade and be sure to make sure its balanced (nail in a post, hang it by the bolt hole and make sure it levels out, the side it goes off to requires some grinding)

Search this Thread