Briggs Vanguard V-Twin...I need help...

Old 04-18-06, 07:20 PM
Unhappy Briggs Vanguard V-Twin...I need help...

Hello,

I posted here just over a week ago in which I have a walkbehind with a Briggs Vanguard 16HP V-Twin...To make a long story short, the engine blew a rod and I determined it was not repairable due to damage to the cylinder bore..

Soooo...What I did was to purchase a brand new Brigg and Stratton Engine on Ebay...But, instead of getting a 16 hp I got a new 18 hp with electric start. The old engine was pull start...

Ok...so the model number on the new engine is a B&S:
Model # 350777
Type # 1159

The new engine dropped right into place no problem...I am having difficulty with a couple of things....

1. Wire identification...This new engine has a starter and alternator...There are yellow wires coming from the engine (alternator) that go into a potted body and then back out with three wires (red, brownish, orange) into a plug....It seems that I should only need 1 (12VDC) of these wires for charging the battery...Help...

2. There is a switch or something with 1 wire coming from the bottom of the fuel bowl....I am not sure what this is...Is this a switch or is it a valve for fuel?

3. There is a pressure switch on the spin on filter element housing...My old mower did not have this switch...I am assuming that this single wire should be wired to ground somewhere so when the oil gets low it grounds out and kills the engine? Correct?

4. I am going to wire the mower up properly with a 6-pole key switch as soon as I figure out what I have...But to temporarly try to start the engine, I hooked a battery (+) to the starter post and grounded the other post on the battery...The engine turns over and starts if I spray starter fluid in the carb, but will not stay running...I have checked to make sure that the carb is getting gas...The bowl is full....But, is there a need to hook the wire up on the bottom of the fuel bowl to allow gas to the engine, or is this a switch? Could it be that the oil pressure switch needs to be hooked up? It seems that this should be fine.....It just seems like it burns through the starter fluid and dies...Thereofore I believe that the cylinders are not getting the gas...What is next?

5. There is a small fitting coming out of the side of the engine that has a push type barb on it...This comes out right where the muffler is....Is this supposed to be somehow hooked into the muffler for burning off additional gas/oil?

Obviously I have not a small engine guy...But I feel if I have a few basic instructions I can get there....The owners manuals are terrible...YUCK...

Thanks for any advice..

Regards,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-06, 08:03 PM
That switch on the bottom is the fuel shutoff solenoid....
http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/.../allwiring.pdf
this may help you on some....

Old 04-19-06, 01:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The solenoid on the bottom of the carb shuts the fuel off. It should have 12 volts on it when the key is turned to the start and on positions. This is why it won't start. The fitting coming off the side is the spot where you'd connect a line for a fuel pump that works off of crankcase pressure fluctuations to pump the diaphragm. If your tank is higher than the carb, you won't need a fuel pump and you can plug off this fitting securely.

The pressure switch could be a pressure switch intended for a guage, or it could be for low oil alert/shutdown. You can leave it unplugged, or check the resistance across it with the engine running at different rpms. If it goes from continuity to ground with the engine off, to open circuit with engine running at any speed, then it's a low oil shutdown switch. It would be connected in parralell with the kill wire to the coil. If the resistance changes with engine speed, it is intended to connect to a guage.

Check output from the charging wires to see which is charging with the engine running, and this should be the charge wire. I don't recall a regulator with 3 wires coming from it on these, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Old 04-19-06, 09:55 AM
Thanks a bunch..

Hey Guys,

Thanks a bunch for the tips...This should get me going..

The only thing that I question is the fitting coming out the side of the engine behind the muffler...This is a fitting with a "barb like" connection on it...There is already a fuel pump on the other side of the engine so I am note sure this is for a fuel pump...Should I just leave it capped?

thx again..
Mike

Old 04-20-06, 12:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't think of any fitting like you describe except for the fuel pump fitting. Is it threaded into the crankcase or something else?

Old 04-20-06, 01:22 PM
Almost there..

Just a note to let you know that I am almost there...whew...
I got the thing all fired up and the wiring is done with exception of the alternator wire...

I still need to figure out which wire coming out of the black box is the one that I need...There is a red wire, brownish and an orange wire....

I also have to figure out what the fitting is behind the muffler...I am wondering if this is for anti-backfire or something...If I can't figure it out I will shot a photo and put it up here..

Thanks again for the help..
Mike

Old 04-20-06, 01:35 PM
ah....

I think that I have the final piece to the puzzle...

It sounds like I only need the red wire coming from the black potted box on the side to charge the battery...

Also, B&S said that the mysterious fitting coming off from the engine would be used as a vacuum modulator if I had an automatic transmission...He told me that I could just leave the black cap on it...Hope he is right...

Ok...thanks again for the advice..

Best Regards,
Mike