Running new motor on one cylinder damaging?

Old 04-18-06, 08:25 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running new motor on one cylinder damaging?

Heres the deal. Im a diy guy, most with home improvement, and not so much engines. Give me a chiltons, and tell me whats wrong, and I can fix a car. Lawnmoweres, and troubleshooting (or typing for that matter) and Im lost.

We blew up a motor (19hp brigss and stratton) last year due to an oil leak that got out of hand. Im not blaming my wife, because I shoulda kept a closer eye on it. Picked up a new 24 hp briggs motor. Got it installed, everything went without a hitch until wiring it.

On the new briggs, there were 2 wires going to each (magneto) spark plug. What I didnt see right away, was the diode arrangement on the wiring up inside the engine. So I spliced the two wires together to my ignition. Ran it for probably 20 mins total testing it, and then realized one cylinder wasn't firing the whole time (sepcifically, once i put the belts on and engaged the blades).

Took a while, but I figured out to connect only one wire, and then both cylinders were firing fine after that.

My question is, did I do any damage not having that other cylinder firing for that time? I ran it at mid speed for about 5 mins, then about 10 mins on high, and then about another 5 mins total of tinkering trying to figure out why one cylinder wasnt firing...
Sorry, I realize this is probably engine 101, but any help would be apprciated.

Other than having to adjust the governor initially, then backing it off once both cylinders were firing, I haven't noticed a difference in sound/vibration. Other than it doesn't bog down when i engage the mower blades now, and runs smooth as it should.

-r

Old 04-18-06, 09:23 PM
Probablly got a little fuel in the oil, but newer cars use basically this.... cuts some of the cylinders off to improve gas mileage... they are fuel injected of course.... while this engine is carbed.... You should be fine none the less.

Old 04-18-06, 10:15 PM
R
Your reply makes sense. Thanks for the response...
-r

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: