No spark

Old 04-20-06, 12:14 PM
No spark

found an craftsman eager.1 rev.power mower, looks in good shape just really dirty. cleaned it up and tried to start it. first thing wrong is there's no spark.I noticed that the solid state ignition [magnito] seemed too far away from the flywheel. can this be the problem of no spark? how can i check the magnito to see if its ok?What is the air gap tolerance? MOD #143354032 SER#5087A TECUMSEH 4HP ENGINE. Thanks for any advise and any other info that can help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-06, 07:22 PM
I gap em with a buisness card or dollar bill, till it slides out with a little tugging but doesn't rip..... then spin the flywheel around to make sure of no catching and tighten it down...... also make sure to clean the flywheel magnets and the mag of any rust. If you found it that way.... more then likely it had no spark from the beginning.... it could be a bad coil.

Old 04-21-06, 05:34 AM
Where would the coil be located? Under the flywheel? can i test this to see if this is bad & how. yes the magnets and magnito were covered wuth rust so I cleaned them already I havent started to put any thig back together, the carb needs an overhaul also.This is a project to better help me with future repairs i might have to deal with and i really want to get this thing going so long that it doesnt start costing alot.Or is this not worth putting anymore time in.Any comments are welcome, thanks.

Old 04-21-06, 11:04 AM
The coil I'm refering to is the magneto. A carb kit should be had pretty cheap.

Old 04-24-06, 05:12 AM
I dont mean to come across stupid, im just not familiar with some terminoligy, or normenclature of some parts.Put everything back together after servicing the carb and then pulled the brake in gave it a pull and got spark and the engine started,wont stay started and idles very low for about a minute. with very little power.This engin has a bowl type carb, is there some procedure on adjusting this?or should I be looking for something else?

Old 04-24-06, 09:21 PM
The float should be parallel to the carb body, the high speed screw or idle, as a baseline they should be 1.5 turns out from all the way in snug as a baseline, fine tune when its warmed up. Make sure (have the gas cut off first) and take the fuel mixture needles out and check the tips for damage, if damaged... replace em.

Old 04-25-06, 02:58 AM
I didn't pull your engine model up on my computer but based on the model and date code, you should have a non adjustable carburetor. The bowl nut is the fixed-main-jet. Be sure the tiny holes in this are absolutely clean (they're probably not). Also, with the enigne not running, check to be sure the governor is functioning properly by simply trying to move the governor arm (which has two linkages (one solid, one with a spring) attached going to the carburetor) back and forth. By the way, if you have feeler gap gauges, the ignition coil to magnet (flywheel) air gap is .012"

Old 04-25-06, 06:48 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for your replies, the govenor links move freely,and the carb is non adjustable, natural draft type.Will take the carb off again and do a better inspection and pick up a rebuild kit and re check for proper gap at the ignition coil & post back with results.

Old 05-04-06, 10:46 AM
found a diagram for this carb on the net,the linkage wasnt assembled correctly to the carb from the govener. put everything back together and it started up and is running great, like new. thanks for all the help guys, semper fi.

Old 05-04-06, 02:47 PM
Fantastic, you know where to find us should you need us again.