18hp Briggs govenor/choke problem

Old 04-21-06, 07:26 PM
18hp Briggs govenor/choke problem

Hello,

I have a lawn tractor with a 18hp Briggs vertical twin engine model 422707. The carb only has a low speed jet adjustment. The govenor has been re-adjusted (oops) and I think that's where my problem lies. I can get good low speed and with about 1/2 choke good high speed with no load. With load I need to give 90% to full choke to keep it running. If anyone has info on how the govenor is adjusted or a schematic of it or any other ideas to solve my problem it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for any advice..

Regards,
Darrell

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-06, 08:40 PM
It sounds more like a fuel starvation problem than a gov problem. With gov out of adjustment you still shouldn't need to use choke to keep it running at high speed.
JMHO,
Mike

Old 04-21-06, 10:27 PM
it sounds like a carb or fuel pump issue most likely carb...could try a quick fix..take off bowl nut let fuel drain in a clean container... look for trash...take carb cleaner with the stem on can and blow out the jet and in bowl of carb..blow out bowl with air....this has worked for me a time or two but most of the time i had to rebuild carb...you can do this by just taking off top of carb ,blow carb cleaner in all openings remove the bottom jet behind bowl bolt. make sure it is free of trash...you can get a kit for it but might not have to if gasket it not torn and bowl needle is okay...i would go back with new stuff though you done got it that far ...hope this helps as far as the gov goes you loosen the gov control lever, then push it til the carb is wide open turn gov shaft the same way while holding this position tighten up control lever..p.s. anytime you build a carb always check fuel tank for trash and water,and replace fuel filter..

Old 04-23-06, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.
I cleaned everything out with carb cleaner. It ran a little better. I backed the govenor adjusting screw off until it didn't make contact for the first 1/3 throtle, and readjusted my low speed jet. It ran perfect through the full throtle range with no choke and good in gear and deck engaged. As soon as it encountered more load uphill and taller grass it reverted back to starving and I could barely keep it running with the choke and all loads off. After 15 with no load it still would not run through the full throtle range with out being choked and wouldn't idle. The only thing I can think of is to do a fuel pump and carb rebuild. Unless I have a air leak somewhere in the carb or the rest of the intake system and I don't know how to go about cheching for that. -- if you have anything else I'll give it a try.

Thanks again for the replies. Darrell

Old 04-23-06, 12:38 PM
You can take carb cleaner and spray around intake gaskets around the carb while engine is running....listen for a change in the engine spray one spot at a time

Old 04-23-06, 08:25 PM
Have you tried running with gas cap loosened in case it's not venting.
Mike

Old 04-24-06, 01:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the carb still has a restriction. Did you remove the main jet and clean it out and clean out the area behind it?