Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda EX650 Generator

04-22-06, 10:17 AM   #1  
Honda EX650 Generator

Good Afternoon all. I'm new here, great forum. I just bought 2 Honda EX650 generators off of my neighbor. Both were missing parts so I combined them and got one running. Nice little thing. One problem, though, I can only get about 75-80 volts while under load. It sounds like one third of the windings are open to me. Anyone have one of these with a similar problem who knows where the fault lies? Thanks, Eric.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-22-06, 12:23 PM   #2  
Hello Eric, and welcome to DIY!

Are you sure the engine is running at proper rpm? Do you get 120 or so with no load?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-22-06, 06:51 PM   #3  
I don't have a tach, but yes, it is running very close to 3600. With no load, the voltage is pretty low, maybe 15 but it is AC. I have the unit apart as well as my parts unit. The windings ohm out at 2.3 ohms across the 120V AC circuit. On my parts unit, it is 78 ohms across the same circuit. The DC circuit for charging an external battery has low voltage output too, I forget what it is right now, maybe 9 volts. I think a third of the windings have shorted (stator?). The parts unit is totally stripped down and the stator is off now. I may just toss it into the good unit and try it. Well that's what I have now, thanks again. Eric.

04-23-06, 07:52 PM   #4  
Well I actually got it working. I changed the stator and ran it with the same results. After tinkering some more, I touched the governor arm by mistake and saw the voltage come up on my meter. I adjusted the governor more to give a higher RPM, just a little and the voltage was 120 with a load. When unplugging the load, however, the engine speed would come up too much and produce 186 volts. My mistake was the load I was using was a halogen work light taking maybe 1000 watts to run. The generator ran it fine but after unplugging it the engine was too fast since I adjusted everything under too much load. I tried a few xmas lights and a computer power supply (converted to make a bench top supply) and all is well with load or not. Thanks, Eric.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-24-06, 01:27 AM   #5  
Good job, glad you got it fixed!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread