worn out or fixable?

Old 04-23-06, 12:29 PM
worn out or fixable?

I have an b&s 281707 0412 90

I took the head off to check my cylinder for scoring it had none to mention ..I then pushed side to side on the piston to check for play it had some but i think this was normal..Then I checked the up and down it also had play not as much as side to side though. My question is Will a ring job and valve job do the trick?

I check the compression and it was like 20 unless both my checkers are wrong..this engine will still run ..smoke more on start up and in a bind than just sitting there running at full speed..

When I took the head off it did have a carbon/oil build up at the bottom of the head....

I have no way to check the bore of the cylinder to see if it is egg shaped like I have seen some. Tools on the way though...

main question is Will a ring job and valve job do the trick?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-06, 06:54 PM
Maybe, I'd try the valves first..... sounds more like they aren't seating good.

Old 04-23-06, 07:11 PM
Thumbs up

okay thanks, can't hurt to do them first

Old 04-23-06, 07:16 PM
Try to push the valves side to side.If this is a flathead engine & it's smoking, look @ the valve gides.

Old 04-23-06, 07:37 PM
The valves at tdc are tight they do move very little when open...i did notice oil in bottom of cyclinder and carbon build up with oil at the bottom of the head.. after I use it I checked the oil and it was full....after sitting a couple of days check it again and it won't touch the stick...but then the next time do the same thing and it will be full of oil...oil seal not leaking..no signs of oil around block...but it smokes like crazy when first started, then it don't smoke hardly at all after it warms up..unless under a load...the only thing that I can figure is oil leaking by the piston when it stops at a certain position.....???????

Old 04-23-06, 07:45 PM
Oil not on the stick, than on the level mark next time?? Check the carb real close for an over rich mixture diluting the oil causing it to smoke???

Old 04-24-06, 12:23 AM
mmmm, sounds like my 17 year old briggs 12horse I/C.... the lower exhaust valve stem leaks into the muffler, when I start it up after setting for a couple weeks or so I'm certainly killing the mosquito's..... Mine has a worn out or broken oil ring as well, I'll rebuild it when I feel like it, it gets to haul stuff anyway so it doesn't get used much. As for the wierd oil level.... is this that shiney dipstick? Those things are hard to read when the oils good and clear.

Old 04-24-06, 05:53 PM
Thumbs up

thanks guys..I am just going to go ahead and rebuild it and do a vavle job on it...I think it will make it last a little longer.

Search this Thread