Uneven Cut -Can't be adjusted _Craftsman Riding mower 42"

Old 04-27-06, 10:09 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Uneven Cut -Can't be adjusted _Craftsman Riding mower 42"

have a craftsman 42" with 2 blades. I have a strangely uneven cut where one blade is fine, and the other is cutting very deeply in the center (directly under the tractor) and is cutting very high on the outside edge (by the grass chute). The blade is not bent, the deck is adjusted properly

The only way that i can imagine this happening is if the blade and shaft are actually tilted out of proper alignment. So instead of cutting horizontally, its actually tilted up on one side and down on the other. I'm not sure if this is possible, and if true, if it's repairable.

I would appreciate any ideas.
Thanks!

Old 04-27-06, 11:24 AM
The jackshaft could be bent, did you hit something? The blades replaced or straightened out?

Old 04-27-06, 01:04 PM
R
My son sometimes "helps" out with the lawn, so I have no doubt that it could have hit something.

If it is the jackshaft, is it worth fixing? should I replace the whole deck (which is my name for the assemply that includes both blades etc..)
Thanks.

Old 04-27-06, 02:18 PM
The problem you discribe is the classic broken blade spindle or quill. The tube that supports the bearings between the deck pulleys and the blades is almost certainly broken. Look under the deck [mower OFF] at the piece right above the blade that is malfunctioning and you will probably find a bad bearing or a chunk of the tube that holds the bearing/blade to be missing. That happens when the blade gets 'wacked'. The outer edge is cutting too high because the belt is pulling the shaft toward the center of the deck. The quills are fairly easy to replace. Get the model number off your tractor before you go to buy the part.

Old 04-27-06, 02:22 PM
R
I'll go out and take a look today....remembering to turn it off first!

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your help.

Bob

Old 04-27-06, 03:07 PM
R
Just checked it... and you were right on. The triangular shaped piece that holds the shaft is clearly cracked, tilting the blade inward.

Now I'll go look at sears online for the part. Thanks again!

Old 04-28-06, 05:35 AM
R
One more question to JLOpower... if you can spare the time...

It looks like I need to buy either of the 2 items below.. My question is: do I need any special tools to remove the bearings or shaft from the Mandrel, or to install the same into the new Mandrel. I'm assuming I can simply remove the 3 bolts from the top side of the deck, and the whole thing will come out.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

SHAFT ASSEMBLY, MANDREL, VENTED (INCLUDES KEY NUMBER 12) 137645 13

HOUSING, MANDREL, VENTED 128774 14

Old 04-28-06, 11:28 AM
I will be glad to help, but I need the model number off the machine so I can see the exact parts we are talking about. Post the number here and I will let you know what I think.

Are both your assemblies damaged? You may not need to replace both sides. The side that is cutting level may be fine. Often only one side is damaged when contact is made with an immovable object.

Old 04-30-06, 04:45 AM
You should not need any special tools for this job.

Generally speaking, you only need the mandel housing if there is no damage to the shafts or bearings. I have always replaced the assemblies just because it is easier. The added benefit of replacing the assembly is you are sure that the blade mounting flange is not bent. You should also consider replacing the blade on the bad side of the deck.

Old 04-30-06, 07:54 PM
R
I bought the assembly for the one side that was broken. The gent from Sears said I'd have to press the bearings into the mandrel if I didnt buy the whole thing. For $50 bucks, it didnt seem worth messing around. Should be here this week.

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: