**PLEASE HELP FIX!** MTD WON'T START! LEAKING OIL! Ridding Lawnmower

Old 04-27-06, 08:24 AM
Question **PLEASE HELP FIX!** MTD WON'T START! LEAKING OIL! Ridding Lawnmower

I have a Yard Machine Riding Lawnmower B&S engine. 14.5 42 inch cut.
My brother sold me the lawnmower after it had fell off his pickup. The lawnmower had fell on it's left side the day he came by and finished mowing the yard. He ended up buying him another one and sold me this one. Well, it never did started back up the day it fell. It won't start at all, but I do only hear a clicking sound when I crank it up. It does have a new battery. We tried jumping the lawnmower up with jumping cables, but still nothing! Now, as of today I looked in the garage and found out it is leaking oil in the front right part of the lawnmower. More problems! Should I toss it or give a try fixin!>???? I really can't afford a new one. My husband really do need this Ridding lawnmower, because he has breathing problems and grass makes it worst, if he was to use a push mower it would be devastating.

He has no clue on where to start fixin this ridding lawnmower. He really isn't MR handyman, so I may have to do myself. Or we both can fiqure it out. Maybe someone has a graph or photo of where all the lawnmower parts located, that will help a TON!

Thanks for your time, I would very MUCH appreciate it!!

Last edited by shiningstarxsx; 04-27-06 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-06, 11:07 AM
If it fell on its left side..... theres the possibility the breather on the engine leaked the oil through the carb. Can you spin the engine over by hand? If so then its probablly not locked up from oil/gas keeping the piston from moving. As for the front right part.... muffler? Out of the muffler? This would be likely from the breather I was talking about. If the combustion chamber is full of oil, take the plug out and spin it over by hand a few times, this should clear it. Try and jump the solenoid (you'll see a little thing with two posts, one wire from the battery and then onto the starter) jump it with a screwdriver and see if it'll turn over. (be careful you can't smell gas, or have gas one you or around it). If it turns over ( put the key in the start position) and see if it'll start. btw, check the air filter for oil on it, replace it if it has oil on it. If it starts, go over your wiring making sure everythings hooked up and tight. I'd say either the solenoid got knocked out or a kill switch got messed up from the fall. If it doesn't start but does turn over. Theres a wire going under the shroud, to the coil (gives you spark, it'll have a spark plug wire going to the plug) take the kill wire off the coil, this wire is on the left side. Don't mess with the ones going under the flywheel.

Old 04-27-06, 05:21 PM
Unhappy Maybe we found some promblem engine spin.. HeLP TOTALLY LOST.

Okay, me & my husband started to look into the problem today. We did what you said for us to do. My husband took the cover off the engine and spinned the engine over by hand, but it didn't not do a full spin, only left to right not completely around. I think it is locked up, but then again im not sure if it's suppose to spin fully around, I assume it does?

This is our first time owning a riding lawnmower and first time home owners; so we are totally clueless on where is what on this riding lawnmower and how it suppose to funtion...

We didn't get a chance to check the combustion chamber because we didn't know where it was located at?

We did managed to check the oil filter and I really didn't see any oil, just seemed to be a little dirty. I assume it there was to be oil on the filter, it will be completely black or wet? Now, I did smell a strong smell of gasoline on the air filter, and I'm not sure if this normal>???

We didn't get the to jump the solenoid, we will try that tomorrow after we find out where the combustion chamber and plug is located at and what to spin over by hand a few times?

I really need me a manual or some type of graph drawing or even photos that will shows us a ridding lawnmower parts & where they are located at. It is Very difficult for us, unless, we are spoken baby talk or just maybe we need to buy us a book for lawnmowers dummies.

We would have paid someome by now, but my husband will be laid off in 2 weeks! So we are very tight on cash and every cent is needed. If you can still help, please do so. I will so MUCH appreciate it!

Old 04-27-06, 07:17 PM
sent you a message

Old 04-28-06, 02:56 AM
As V8 indicated, you likely have oil in the combustion chamber (on top of the piston). To remedy this, go to a lawn mower shop and buy a can or two of carburetor spray cleaner (brake cleaner from an automotive store will work as well). First, remove the spark plug and then see if the engine will spin over a full revolution. If so, we have a winner and now you will tuck the spark plug wire out of the way of the spark plug hole (tape it or tie it away, what ever works.) Use the spray cleaner you bought and spray about 2-3 seconds worth of this in the plug hole, cover the hole with a rag, crank the engine over for about 10 seconds. Repeat the "spray, cover, crank" for 3-4 treatments. This will greatly remove any oil from the combustion chamber. Now remove the air filter, clean the air filter housing with some spray and wipe clean with a rag. Now you can try to start the engine by reinstalling the spark plug, wire and cranking over the engine. By the way, if you have an overehead valve Briggs engine, the service manual is part number 272147 or if it is a flat head, it is part number 270962. If you are unsure what you have, post back with the engine ID numbers which will be located on the blower shroud (flywheel (top) cover of the engine) and I will let you know what you have. Go to your local Briggs dealer for this as well as the Briggs spray cleaner, part number 100042.

Old 05-05-06, 07:02 PM
Angry **PLEASE HELP FIX!** MTD Ridding Lawnmower Won't move forward! ?HUH? :oO

Thanks to v8driver & puey61 who has helped me get my ridding lawnmower going. I did the spin the engine by hand, took out the sparkplug off while spining the engine and I also replaced it with a new battery. I had a winner, the ridding lawnmower turned on and it's running. At first it was smoking but it eventually stopped. Here is the BAD NEWS> Now, there is another problem! It won't move!!!! WEIRD I'm not kidding! it won't move forward or backwards, NADA... Nothing.. Turns on, everything seems find and BANG It won't move...... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.. Did I mention it is still leaking oil on it's right front side. We are almost there HELP!

Now, to make matters even worse, I managed to get some overtime and bought me another Ridding Lawnmower 18.5 42" inch cut MTD for $250. I thought I had a deal, and ended up with a LEMON! Yeah, the seller assured me it worked and jumped it up with a another lanmower and it cranked up & cut just find and he told me all it needed was a new battery. Sold it to me for $250 after he was asking for $400 for it and I thought I had a DEAL! My husband was ill... !TWO! Broken MTD machines now. As for this new one we got, does NOT crank up completelly. Won't start, just hear it wanting to run SOUND but something not letting it go. We replaced it battery to. This one seems to be at worst. WAAAH!

I'm devasted.. Any help would be gladly appericated.

Last edited by shiningstarxsx; 05-05-06 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-05-06, 07:25 PM
Hmm, still leaking, make sure the drain plug wasn't damaged, as for not moving, there is the possibility of the belt just fell off. As for the second one, try some gas or starting fluid down the carb. If it starts and just runs off that or keeps running, then the carb is in need of a rebuild. Simple and cheap, soak it in some carb cleaner, get a rebuild kit for the carb (take pics along the way) and blow it out with carb cleaner or compressed air.