Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Electric Mower Question

VA

04-27-06, 09:59 AM   #1  
Electric Mower Question

Hey there, While pushing through a tough patch of grass, this old electric mower just stopped. I get 120V under the shroud at the two connector entry to the motor. Should I go further? I'm hoping that there is a protection cut-off device somewhere in there that I haven't seen yet. And what's the two square inch four pronged electrical component that the handle cord plugs into at the motor? Is it a start capacitor? I bypassed that and still no go. If you think a winding is burned out --why wasn't it protected with a fuse or re-settable switch?

chantilly, va

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

05-08-06, 06:00 PM   #2  
get a new one

the moter burned up how old is it older units don't have an safety cut offs was not an issue back then new ones have a cut off to protect the mower from burning up you could call around and see if any place will look at it what does it do anything try cleaning the under side of the mower the grass will build up mostly when its wet use a paint scraper or powerwasher to clean the under side avoid the moter also make sure the unit is unpluged when cleaning you have to clean them every now and then to much grass under there can slow it down and were the engine out faster let us know what you find.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-09-06, 12:05 AM   #3  
The motor is not necessarily burned up at all. That can't be determined without further diagnosis. I'm not sure what 4 pronged device you're describing, but if it is a canister looking part, it is probably a capacitor. I'd have a look in the motor, it's possible that there are stuck brushes, or a wire that came off, etc...

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread