Craftsman Lawn Mower - not enough power

Old 04-27-06, 11:09 AM
Craftsman Lawn Mower - not enough power

Hi,

I have Craftsman Lawn Mower. few weeks back I took its engine apart to clean it becuase it just would not start. I cleaned it and after assembling it back again it started working fine.

But I noticed two things that I didn't see before taking it apart.
  1. Before when it was working properly, all I had to do was to push cold-start primer five times, pull the cord and then mower would start and won't die. Now after reassembling it again, I had to push cold-start primer five times and then keep engine on full throttle for about a minute and half. Other wise engine dies. It seems that now engine won't sustain speed if it is not warm enough.
  2. It also seems that power of mower has gone down. Now if my grass is 2 inches tall or have think grass, engine just dies. This was not a problem before.
It is entirely possible that while assembling it back again I might have assembled it wrong, but I am not able to figure it out. Can anybody give me some insight into what might be happening?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-06, 11:26 AM
What brand engine are we dealing with here? It sounds like you didn't get the carb good enough, try taking it back off and blowing it out again with carb cleaner, even with compressed air. Are there any adjustments to be made to the carb?

Old 04-27-06, 05:34 PM
Two things to check: Govenor linkage reinstalled in the correct holes? Carb mounting gasket in good shape?

Old 04-28-06, 12:10 PM
Air leak around carb. Something to do with the induction is leaking air.

Or, possibly, you just need to adjust the carb. Sounds lean to me.

Old 05-01-06, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by YogiWatcher
Hi,

I have Craftsman Lawn Mower. few weeks back I took its engine apart to clean it becuase it just would not start. I cleaned it and after assembling it back again it started working fine.

But I noticed two things that I didn't see before taking it apart.
  1. Before when it was working properly, all I had to do was to push cold-start primer five times, pull the cord and then mower would start and won't die. Now after reassembling it again, I had to push cold-start primer five times and then keep engine on full throttle for about a minute and half. Other wise engine dies. It seems that now engine won't sustain speed if it is not warm enough.
  2. It also seems that power of mower has gone down. Now if my grass is 2 inches tall or have think grass, engine just dies. This was not a problem before.
It is entirely possible that while assembling it back again I might have assembled it wrong, but I am not able to figure it out. Can anybody give me some insight into what might be happening?
I'm having this exact same problem with my Tecumseh-based Craftsman mower...I keep looking funny at the governor linkage, but I have no manual or other example to look at to make sure I put it all back together properly.

Old 05-01-06, 10:36 AM
I think that's where my problem is too. But I think there is something else is going on too. So I am going to clean the carburator, and check the linkage. I do have manual. I will look into it to see if it gives linkage positions. IF not then I will just go to store and see one of the existing engine and see how it is placed.

If I find something I will let you know about linkages.

Old 05-07-06, 04:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
not enough power

Originally Posted by YogiWatcher
I think that's where my problem is too. But I think there is something else is going on too. So I am going to clean the carburator, and check the linkage. I do have manual. I will look into it to see if it gives linkage positions. IF not then I will just go to store and see one of the existing engine and see how it is placed.

If I find something I will let you know about linkages.
There is absolutly no advertising in the forums. Please read the rules completly.

DoItYourself.com Community Forums cannot be used for personal and/or commercial gain. Posts should contribute to the discussion, provide useful, helpful and/or professional advice. Posts containing any type of content which provides compensation by any means and/or method through any affiliate programs, ads, advertisements, sales, referrals, redirects, chain letters, contests, personal web sites and or pyramid schemes, etc, are all prohibited.

http://forum.doityourself.com/announ...php?f=14&a=114

Last edited by mattison; 05-14-06 at 05:50 AM. Reason: No advertising in the forums.
Old 05-13-06, 01:18 PM
I cleaned up carburator with carburator cleaner, and reinstalled it. Changed gaskets too. I cleaned those small holes in the carburator bowl screw. Also cleaned up hole where fuel enters the carburator bowl. But I have same problem. Engine justs keeps on stalling on little load. If there is no load (i.e. if I run it on driveway) engine runs slow but don't stall. as soon as put it on lawn speed goes down and some times it stops.

What else is going on that I can look into? Any clues?

BTW I did not give this info last time, but here it is:

Lawn Mower: Craftsman, 6.75 HP, 22" Rear Discharge, Model # 917.377190
Engine: Tecumseh, Model # 143.006700

Last edited by YogiWatcher; 05-13-06 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-13-06, 11:20 PM
Sounds to me that you do have a Tecumseh engine,and you've just got the gov.link and spring in the wrong places or their rubing together,(hanging up.)

Put the long linkage on the carb.first(the one with a hook on each end.Then in the top hole in the gov.rod.The link with the spring goes behind that linkage and in the next hole in the gov.rod.The other end goes to the throttle slide on the gov.plate,which mounta on top of your carb.
That way the two links doesn't rub together.

Old 05-13-06, 11:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you dure you got the valve timing set correctly in the engine?

Old 05-14-06, 05:39 AM
Governer linkages are at the right place (based on what you explained and based on diagram from owners manual). They are not rubbing together.

What is the purpose of governer linkage? and how do they work?

I did not open the engine, so I am assumming that valve timing is correct (original setting).

Old 05-14-06, 12:53 PM
Never mind. I figured it out. My mistake. Those governor linkages were at right place in right hole on the governor rod, but it was in wrong whole on the throttle shaft.

Thanks to all who helped.

Old 05-14-06, 10:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed. I wasn't sure if you took it that far apart or not.