Lawn tractor tranny rpoblem

Old 04-27-06, 12:11 PM
Lawn tractor tranny rpoblem

I have a 1992 Craftsman lawn tractor model number 917.255581
It was running well except that the shifting has started to stick a bit. I lubed up the linkage going into the tranny and all seemed well until....I had new rear tires put on. When I picked it up I found the shifter stuck in the 3rd gear position but the wheels in nuetral. Once at home I found that the right rear axle will slide completely out of the tranny. Any help with thoughts on what might have happened and guidence on repairing it would be very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-06, 10:00 AM
On the inside end of the axle there is a snap ring. This obviously must have come off. Now you need to be concerned that the ring groove in the axle is too worn to keep this on and now need to replace the axle, as opposed to an excessive side load having been placed on it that should never happen again and this was an isolated incident.

Old 05-01-06, 12:32 PM
Thanks Puey61 for your reply!

I opened the transaxle and found the old snap ring which was pretty deformed and also a washer/spacer that is missing a chunk. Obviously went through one of the gears.

Based on the good left side axle I believe the washer that is broken sits right next to the gear (snap ring, gear, washer/spacer, 2nd outside washer next to the felt ring). The washer/spacer next to the gear is not in the schematic in my owners manual? Im guessing it is more a spacer and is not always needed which is why its not in the owners manual. Or maybe its part of the gear.

Anyway, I have a new snap ring, gear, and a few washers on order. Hopefully will be here today and help me understand.

As you recommend, Ill also check the grove in the axle to see if it looks worn. My guess is the problem was to much force on the wheel and yes, this will be a one time thing as Ill change them myself next time!

Any advice on the the washer/spacer not in the Sears schematic would be great. Also the snap ring is like a key chain ring. Any advise on how to install this type snap ring? Any other recommendations while I have the transaxle open?

thanks again for the help!

Old 05-01-06, 03:04 PM
This is a Dana tranny and I don't have service literature on these but I do know the principle of them. The washer is twofold. 1- Acting as a bushing between the gear and the housing it rests near (the differential assembly) and 2- As a means to get proper endplay/clearance. You must have minimal endplay so the axle doesn't bind, with .020"+- being OK. You will use as many washers as required to obtain this endplay. As far as the snap ring, if it is in fact a "snap ring" then any automotive parts store should have one you could buy. I know of no other type of retainer in these other than snap rings, but, again, I don't have Dana manuals.

Old 05-01-06, 07:32 PM
Hi Puey61,
Checked the axle grove for the snap ring and it looked ok. Got the parts and re-assembled the tranny. Seemed to go well. With the tranny on the bench it still seems to shift hard. Need to snap it fairly hard or tap it to get it to move between gears. I has cleaned up and lubed the springs & balls in the shift mechanism when it was open and it seemed ok. Only problem was that I coudnt get the set screws to move as it appears a previous owner used lock tight.

Anyhow, hope to get the tranny re-installed tomorrow night and hoping that the shifting is smother when its all assembled. I will send an update either way.....declaring victory or asking for more advice!

thanks again

Old 05-03-06, 06:31 AM
Re-installed the transaxle last night and the primary problem which was the broken right axle snap ring is fine but the shifting is still less than smooth. It is often difficult to get it to change gears. Seemed like reverse was somewhat worse than the forward gears. During the snap ring repair I re-greased everything with the spec grease and cleaned, re-greased and loosened the springs/ball bearings under the shifting plate.

I'm wondering what could be causing the difficult shifting and if there is something I can do to repair?

again thanks for all the advice!

Old 05-04-06, 12:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't remember the correct name for them at the moment, but there are either 2 or 3 "fingers" that slide through the gears to select one via a sliding collar that moves with the shifter. The tracks that these "fingers" slide in should be greased well. Also, sometimes the shifter detent balls get rusty or flat spots on them and make shifting hard. If the belt is too tight, and putting slight turning force on the input pulley while trying to shift, it can make shifting hard.

Old 05-04-06, 09:05 AM
hi Cheese,

thank you for your advice.

I think the manual calls the fingers "Clutch Pins". There are 2 of them. I added a lot of grease in the entire area although I didnt specifically lay some in the track/fingers. I also inspected the detent balls and they seemed clean and round. I will be using the tractor tonight and maybe running it will spread the grease around a bit more. Ill also check the tention on the drive belt while in idle.

Thanks again for the help. This forum has been outstanding! As a novice, the advise has been extremely helpful.

Ill send a post asap on the hard shifting after I check the drive belt idle and run it for a while.