B&S Pull cord starter

Old 04-30-06, 10:10 AM
Unhappy B&S Pull cord starter

98 Snapper Rider has B&S 9 hp pull start. The pull cord would not engage. Just pulled out easily and went back in. Before I removed the pull cord assembly, I pulled and pulled and it never engaged.I removed top pull cord assemply to check gear and it looks ok. Gear on top of engine turns freely, is it suppose to? Have I got a big problem or is there something I can do. This happened once before but it corrected itself and I could start the engine.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-06, 10:49 AM
well Bobbipsj,I am nowhere near my books to see what kind of recoil system were talking about but,something you said led me to believe that your engine has starter pawls which swing out when ever you pull the starter rope.If so their not coming out as suposed to,there wore so as not to make contect with the starter cup (on top of the flywheel).OR the nut holding the flywheel and starter cup is lose.If this be the case,take the flywheel off and insepct the flywheel key too.It is prob.sherd.
replay back with the engine's model and type numbers and someone can give you torque specs on flywheel nut,but I think it.s gona be in the range of 80 to 95 inch pounds.

Old 05-01-06, 12:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds to me like you have a starter ratchet. (square post sticking off the top of engine that should turn one way, but not the other). Sounds like your is turning freely either way. No problem, just remove the screws holding the screen on, pop the metal cover off the starter ratchet and pull the top post off. Remove the 6 little metal balls, clean them, the insides of the ratchet, drop a couple drops of oil into the post, and reassemble.

Old 05-01-06, 05:51 PM
It Worked

Thanks Cheese, You called it right! Being a single woman, I've learned to ask for directions, but enjoy doing it myself. Gives me a real feeling of pride. Did what you said, started the engine and mowed the lawn. Appreciate you, Bobbi

Old 05-02-06, 01:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help, and thanks for the update!

Search this Thread