Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

White Smoke Too!!! HELP!!!

04-30-06, 07:44 PM   #1  

I have had my LT 1000 17.5HP tractor (Briggs & Stratton Engine) for 3 seasons - today I continued my spring clean up mulching leaves (I have ALOT of trees on 3/4 acre). As I was making my way thru a pile of leaves, the engine started to hesitate and slow. I stoped, turned off tractor and saw some white smoke coming from front exhaust. Let it sit a few minutes and checked oil - which appeared to be low. I filled the oil, turned on tractor and within seconds - it backfired - quick flame shot out of front and alot of smoke! When the engine cooled, I noticed alot of oil on the front lower frame. Let it sit for a while, turned it on again and ALOT of white smoke continued to pour out of the front exhaust. I think I overfilled the oil - however the engine still starts right up. Did I blow the L head gastket or something serious like that??? Would this be something I can fix??? OR does it sound like I can simply drain the oil and start over. I shut the tractor off right away, for the day and back in my shed it went. I didn't check to see if the smoke stopped, the smoke and smell of oil was not winning me any points with my neighbors!

Any help is appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links

04-30-06, 08:48 PM   #2  
Kinda sounds like the head gasket blew. Is it a over head valve engine? (which I'm pretty sure it is) Make sure the cover stamped OHV isn't leaking. Is it a single or twin cylinder?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-01-06, 12:16 AM   #3  
Smell the oil. Does it smell like gas? Could be that the carb has leaked gas into the crankcase, which would cause your problem. If not, it does sound a bit like a blown head gasket.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-01-06, 04:45 AM   #4  

Posted By: cheese Smell the oil. Does it smell like gas? Could be that the carb has leaked gas into the crankcase, which would cause your problem. If not, it does sound a bit like a blown head gasket.
Is a head Gasket hard to fix?? I've done some work on this tractor (replaced one of the the front Mandral assemblies), but no engine work.

Tractor Info;
Craftsman LT 1000 (2003) Model # 917 272670
B&S 17.5 HP engine (OHV) YBSXS5012 VP 274826

Any advice??

Last edited by SG123; 05-01-06 at 07:21 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-02-06, 02:03 AM   #5  
Not hard at all. Got a torque wrench and manual? Just a handful of bolts, a scraper and a gasket and you're done.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread