briggs&stratton keeps shearing flywheel key

Old 04-30-06, 05:24 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
briggs&stratton keeps shearing flywheel key

Recently purchased a used MTD riding mower with a 14.5h briggs&stratton OHV engine. I knowingly bought it with a "won't start" problem and determined that the flywheel key had been sheared off. I replaced the key and the engine fired up immediately, BUT after only a few moments of running perfectly, the flywheel key shears-off again. I've checked to make sure that the drive and mower deck belts do not have tension on them but continues to shear off keys. Any ideas or if anyone has been here before, I'd like to hear about it.

Old 04-30-06, 07:40 PM
M
Was the flywheel hard to remove the second time? If not, the flywheel is not fitting tight on the tapered part of crankshaft. Does the flywheel nut pull down tight?
Mike

Old 04-30-06, 08:12 PM
T
I'm pretty sure I figured out the problem -- Stick with the OEM parts, I put in a B&S key, (was usung aftermarket keys bought from Ace Hardware). Also was able to get a second hand to help me torque down the flywheel bolt, one or both of these fixed the problem. Thanks Mike, you were right on target!

Old 04-30-06, 08:18 PM
M
Glad to help,Timajul. Onte thing I've found on Tecumsehs,which are bashed a lot on these type forums, is they use an alum. flywheel key that is designed to shear easily.Probably has saved a lot of crankshafts over the years. Too bad B&S hasn't adopted this idea.
Mike

Old 04-30-06, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by mla2ofus
Glad to help,Timajul. Onte thing I've found on Tecumsehs,which are bashed a lot on these type forums, is they use an alum. flywheel key that is designed to shear easily.Probably has saved a lot of crankshafts over the years. Too bad B&S hasn't adopted this idea.
Mike
They do, have for years. Thing I've noticed (no offense) is that tecumsehs just can't take any abuse.

Old 05-01-06, 05:09 AM
M
Originally Posted by v8driver
They do, have for years. Thing I've noticed (no offense) is that tecumsehs just can't take any abuse.
For years I've wondered where the line is between rough duty and abuse. I think a lot of folks cross over that line not knowing of it's existence.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: