Baggers...

Old 05-02-06, 10:53 AM
gsr
Question Baggers...

I asked this before but it is buried in part of another thread...

I'm looking at buying a rear bagger for the riding mower I'm buying - anyone have any experience with them in general - how well do they work, do they clog easy, are hard or soft bags better?

I've looked at sweepers to but figured pulling a little trailer behind would be more work going around things, baking up, and I've heard they don't always work on damp ground.

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-06, 12:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally, they work pretty well. Usually they don't work as well as a sweeper, and don't work well on wet ground, but will do the job in normal conditions. They will clog if they are fed a large volume of debris at one time.

Old 05-03-06, 02:51 AM
You didn't mention what it is you're buying but be sure the bagger kit includes high-lift blades. Standard lift blades won't produce the air-volume needed to push the grass up the chute and into the bags. Bear in mind, many of the chain store brands don't have these blades as an option. You may be able to find aftermarket blades, however.

Old 05-03-06, 06:04 AM
gsr
Sweepers...

The tractor will be a Cub Cadet 1042 or 1045.

So are you suggesting the sweeper might be better? I checked the archives and saw people complaining about the sweepers not working well on damp ground.

Or is this a case of 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other? Both have their good and bad points just depends on your conditions?

Old 05-03-06, 12:27 PM
i'm not a big fan of sweepers. as puey stated, the lift of the blade means everything. also, how many blades in the assy. the best bagger hands down was the single blade 32" snapper. one blade, one air flow, huge lift wings. is also sucked the topsoil out of the lawn. next of course is a two blade deck. not too bad at bagging depending on the lift. three blade deck? forget it. way to many ideas of where the air should be going, and short blades obtaining little tip speed. hard or soft bags are a matter of personal preference. hard last but don't store well. soft wear out but can be collapsed to free up space in the garage. self dumpers are just another component to break.

Old 05-03-06, 01:52 PM
gsr
Thanks all...

I'm not sure if I'll have the 2 blade or 3 blade deck yet, but I think I'll still get the bagger and make sure I get the high lift blades to go with it.

Have a good day!

Old 05-03-06, 11:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I prefer a bagger for grass clippings, a sweeper for leaves. High lift blades are important, but a drawback to them is that they sandblast through the deck much faster. If you're just cutting grass normally, and don't let it get really thick before cutting, you should be pleased with the bagger. By "really thick", I mean embarassingly thick.

Old 05-05-06, 06:42 AM
As you guessed, conditions matter a lot. Damp grass does not bag well, and (until this recent drought) in my area, the grass is ALWAYS damp except in August. I've cursed every bagger I have ever used, but I know folks that love them, I prefer a sweeper for several reasons:
1. It will fit any tractor I own or will own in the future with no special mounts or hardware or chute connections that make the bagger only good for the tractor it was bought with.
2. They are typically a lot cheaper than most new bagger set ups.
3. I can use it only where needed and not have to use it on the whole lawn.
4. easy on - easy off.

Drawbacks to a sweeper:
1. They can be awkward to use in areas where backing up might be required.
2. Extends the length of the tractor more than a bagger.
3. Not always easy to store, although some models do fold down smaller.
4. Sweeping must be done after cutting which increases the time on the job..... more seat time..... which some days is a good thing.

Old 05-05-06, 08:57 AM
gsr
Sweeping after mowing...

I've heard a few people mention sweeping needs to be done after mowing is that just because using a side discharge you never are really sweeping where the grass is? Just wondering if using a mulch kit if you could sweep and mow at the same time? Or is there something else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!