Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Lawn Tractor Stalling

05-02-06, 06:04 PM   #1  
Craftsman Lawn Tractor Stalling

I have a 1993 Craftman, model #917.255450, with a Kohler 14HP engine - it has run great till a few days ago, when it stalled out after a few minutes of use. After it sat for a while, it started up OK, then a few minutes later, stalled again.

I figured it was time for some maintenance, so yesterday replaced the fuel filter, spark plug and air elements, and put it away for the night. Today, same thing - stall after a few minute of mowing. Let it sit for a half hour, and it starts.

It seems to be something to do with the engine warming up, then shutting down - could this be a fuel pump or carb problem (float?). Any ideas would be appreciated - we have a few more days of dry weather, and the grass is growing slow. Need to fix soon, as wet weather is on the way - thanks, John.

Sponsored Links

TX

05-02-06, 06:23 PM   #2  
Try loosening the gas cap. It may not be venting, thus creating a vacuum in gas tank.
Mike

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-02-06, 11:56 PM   #3  
If it won't start right back up, and loosening the cap doesn't help, check for spark when it stalls.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

05-03-06, 02:58 AM   #4  
Just to add what Cheese recommended. Generally, you want to check for spark immediately upon stalling. What I recommend you do is have a spark plug in your pocket when your mowing. When it stalls, turn the key off, set the parking brake, take the plug wire off the spark plug, insert the new plug into the plug wire, rest the new plug on a metalic surface and go ahead and crank the engine over and watch for spark. No need to remove the old plug, no tools needed.

05-03-06, 04:34 AM   #5  
And if there is no spark....

Just to complete the thought, what if there is no spark - what / where am I looking at to get this fixed?

NY

05-04-06, 05:02 AM   #6  
The diagnosis I'd make is a faulty ignition coil and to rule out any peripheral trouble, you need to disconnect the ground (kill) wire at the ignition coil and then test run and see if any failure occurs. Bear in mind that all safety features as well as the ability to shut the engine down will be null requiring utmost safety in mind when operating the machine as such. You will need to carry an insulated pliers with you in order to pull the spark plug wire off the spark plug to shut the engine down. If failure occurs at this point, replace the coil. This should be part number 12 584 04S, but post back with engine ID numbers first before buying such. If no failure...post back.

05-06-06, 06:36 PM   #7  
It was the coil!

Yes, after all of this, it was the coil (AKA ignition module) - I got a new one from a part store for about $40, and installed it today. For the record, be aware that you need to make sure of the gap between the coil and fly wheel - the parts store guy told me to put a business card between the coil and wheel, and it set the gap fine. After installation (about 1/2 hour), the mower started up and mowed for an hour - no stalling.

To all that pitched in, thank you so much. You gotta love this forum thing!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-07-06, 11:48 PM   #8  
Glad you got it fixed!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread