Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman still stalling....

05-03-06, 02:47 PM   #1  
Craftsman still stalling....

I tried loosening the gas cap as suggested in the string below - but the dang thing still stalled after about 5 minutes of run time. I checked to see if there was spark with another spark plug, and did not see anything. This is weird, because I know in about 10 minutes, the thing will start again and run for a few.

So what is the diagnosis, doctors? Lawn is getting high....help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links

05-03-06, 05:33 PM   #2  
Update...sure enough, it started

Yes, the tractor started after cooling down for a few minutes. I mowed for about 4 minutes, and it stalled again. During this "downtime" I cleaned up the carb linkages, figuring that they might have been sticking, and thereby preventing something from working when it warms up. Again, after 10 minutes cool down, it started, and I put it away.

Again, I had no spark that I could see after it stalled - the starter works, and the engine cranks and cranks, but no starting it. Are we looking at replacing the solenoid, relay switch, or what?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-03-06, 11:50 PM   #3  
Sounds like a bad coil, or a bad shutdown relay if equipped.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-05-06, 04:39 PM   #4  
Yeah, the coil....

I went to two repair places today, and they both said it should be a bad coil, which on this tractor is termed "ignition module".

I will be picking the part up tomorrow and god willing will be mowing by noon! I will post the result later. Thanks, J.

YES!! THE INSTALLATION OF THE IGNITION MODULE (AKA "COIL") SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

Last edited by John D.; 05-06-06 at 06:25 PM.

05-06-06, 10:13 AM   #5  
Posted By: cheese Sounds like a bad coil, or a bad shutdown relay if equipped.
Are you the resident Craftsman expert? Do you know anything about CraftsmanII ic (what does IC stand for?) 18 HP, 44. I want to sell one I have here that came with my house. I have not used it. I don't know what to expect for it. It isn't starting right now. I put a new battery in it this morning and it just made a clicking noise. I did open the air filter thingy..(I'm a female..sorry don't know what it is called) and found a few acorn shells in there. I think the 8 years it was stored away in a shed may have left it prey to the mice! Anyway, bottom like question is, how old do you think it is and how much should I get for it, even if it doesn't start? Sears has a great website with lots of prices of parts. I guess someone would have to put some money into it to make it go. So what is a reasonable asking price. Thanks so much.

05-06-06, 07:43 PM   #6  
Craftsman ID

HI Joanna --
You will need to know the Model Number of your Craftsman tractor for prospective buyers. Usually the model number is on a sticker that is under the drivers seat. Write down the whole model number.
The "18" is the horsepower of the engine and the "44" is the width of the mower deck, which is 44" wide. The Ic probably
means Ignition Control which is Searspeak for an electronic ignition-- these are all good things and it sounds like a quite
useful tractor. Be of Good Cheer! You'll get it started.
Tom in GV
PS-- reconsider selling it, these Craftsman mowers once they start and run, are rugged and reliable and will last for years!
At least, mine have.

05-06-06, 08:50 PM   #7  
Posted By: joanann Are you the resident Craftsman expert? Do you know anything about CraftsmanII ic (what does IC stand for?) 18 HP, 44. I want to sell one I have here that came with my house. I have not used it. I don't know what to expect for it. It isn't starting right now. I put a new battery in it this morning and it just made a clicking noise. I did open the air filter thingy..(I'm a female..sorry don't know what it is called) and found a few acorn shells in there. I think the 8 years it was stored away in a shed may have left it prey to the mice! Anyway, bottom like question is, how old do you think it is and how much should I get for it, even if it doesn't start? Sears has a great website with lots of prices of parts. I guess someone would have to put some money into it to make it go. So what is a reasonable asking price. Thanks so much.
I/C stands for industrial commercial.... very good engine. If you sell it as is... maybe $100 bucks, fix it (see your other post) and maybe (just maybe) $150 to $200.

05-07-06, 07:34 AM   #8  
Thank you!

Posted By: v8driver I/C stands for industrial commercial.... very good engine. If you sell it as is... maybe $100 bucks, fix it (see your other post) and maybe (just maybe) $150 to $200.

Thank you so much for your reply. I think I will give up on it and sell it AS IS. Thanks so much!

Search this Thread