Chainsaw repair

Old 05-04-06, 10:23 AM
BAM
Cool Chainsaw repair

The chain on my chainsaw seems to have slipped off it's thingee. (I'm a girl.) I'm kind of afraid of the thing a little, but like to fix things myself. When I power it, it just slightly chugs along. Also, can you give directions on the care ... sharpening and oiling of these bad boys?

Thanks,

Babs
Dallas, TX

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-06, 11:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

There are 1 or 2 nuts holding the bar next to the motor, loosen them to get the chain back on the bar. There should be a screw to help tighten the tension. The screw will either be between the nuts or in the front close to the bar. The chain should have a small amount of play - not stretched tight. Don't forget to tighten the nuts.

Is your saw electric or gas?

There is a reservoir that holds the oil that lubericates the chain. Always make sure the chain gets oiled or it will wear fast. The chain is sharpened with a round file at a specified angle. You can have it done for a small fee. It might be good to watch someone first before doing it yourself. Sharpening isn't hard to do but you do want to keep the angle consistent. You can buy a file and guide to make it easier - I've not used one - I always sharpen it freehand.

Old 05-04-06, 11:45 AM
I would recommend getting the chain professionally sharpened. It is not all that easy to do by hand there is some technique involved. When I used to do tree work I only sharpened it in the field when I absolutely had to. As far as oil it depends on what kind of saw. Some you have a little thumb button you have to press on every so often but most modern ones are auto oilers so just make sure you fill the oil tank everytime you fill the gas assuming it's not electric. To tighten the chain you need to loosen the 2 (usually) nuts and then look for the tensioner screw. It may be inbetween the nuts or facing outward but shouldn't be too hard to find. You want there to be just a little slack in the chain not real tight as it will often tighten in use. Make sure there is pressure pushing the bar up when you tighten the nuts. If the chain becomes very loose during use STOP! The chain becoming loose enough to actually come off the bar can cause a dangerous condition that you want to avoid. Last thought is please please be carefull. A chainsaw will gleefully remove limbs in a second and I mean yours not off a tree. Even an electric can be very dangerous so I hope you are getting a little guidance as far as safe operation. Hope this helps

Old 05-04-06, 11:46 AM
I have two chain saws with multiple chains for each. The typical charge for chain sharpening is fairly reasonable if you bring just the chain, not the whole saw.
You should be able to get some free instruction from a servicing dealer on the care and operation of your saw. Unless you are going to be cutting quite a bit of wood, having the chain correctly sharpened at a saw dealer will be worth the money spent. You will also be able to ask any questions that you may have and someone should be able to SHOW you how a feature on your saw works.

Old 05-04-06, 11:50 AM
Old 05-04-06, 05:36 PM
I don't know if this was mentioned before or not but i'll add it anyways. the two nuts have to be loose before you can tension the chain, I used to forget to do that, so just thought i might add that. just remember there are lots of horror stories out there about chainsaws and I don't mean the hollywood movies, like the real accidents that happen in real life. there was a man that lived around here and was cutting firewood just outside his house and the saw kicked back an cut his neck, he made it into the kicten trying to reach the phone and died, so be careful

Charles

Old 05-04-06, 08:37 PM
Besides the safety considerations, there is a fatigue factor. A chain saw is a two handed tool and using it continuously over several hours will give you sore arms and shoulders. It's rewarding to see the chips fly, but you may pay for it the next day. Whenever it runs out of gas, let yourself cool off a bit before refueling and going back at it. You can also check the chain tension while it's stopped.