Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman II (IC?) 18 HP 6 speed 44

05-06-06, 09:51 AM   #1  
SOS clueless female!! Craftsman II (IC?) 18 HP 6 speed 44

HELP! I'm clueless. How do I determine when this ride on Craftsman was built? It came with my house 8 years ago and I want to sell it. It has been stored in a shed, I have never used it. I started it once to move it from the garage to the shed. Now, it won't start. I put a new battery in. It makes a click or two and then nothing. I don't want to invest much more time or money in it. Just want to know if anyone can tell me the year it may have been built, Model is 917 255933. I know it is atleast 8 years old. Also, how much should I ask for it. I am so clueless, obviously. Any information would be gratefully received. Thank you, Joan

Last edited by joanann; 05-06-06 at 10:16 AM.

Sponsored Links

05-06-06, 08:48 PM   #2  
Posted By: joanann HELP! I'm clueless. How do I determine when this ride on Craftsman was built? It came with my house 8 years ago and I want to sell it. It has been stored in a shed, I have never used it. I started it once to move it from the garage to the shed. Now, it won't start. I put a new battery in. It makes a click or two and then nothing. I don't want to invest much more time or money in it. Just want to know if anyone can tell me the year it may have been built, Model is 917 255933. I know it is atleast 8 years old. Also, how much should I ask for it. I am so clueless, obviously. Any information would be gratefully received. Thank you, Joan
If its been setting for that long.... expect to rebuild the carb, clean out the gas tank and replace the fuel lines, change the oil of course, replace the tires if they are too bad (or tube em or slime em) and maybe the belts if they are too bad... the solenoid also sounds like it doesn't want to work or the starter is stuck. Also not to mention any friends that made a home under the engine shroud and had a snack on the wires.

05-07-06, 07:36 AM   #3  
Posted By: v8driver If its been setting for that long.... expect to rebuild the carb, clean out the gas tank and replace the fuel lines, change the oil of course, replace the tires if they are too bad (or tube em or slime em) and maybe the belts if they are too bad... the solenoid also sounds like it doesn't want to work or the starter is stuck. Also not to mention any friends that made a home under the engine shroud and had a snack on the wires.

Yeah, but in the right hands this could be a great machine for many years of service. I'm just not the right hands. Thanks again for your reply.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-07-06, 11:40 PM   #4  
If you'll supply the serial number, I can tell you what year it was built.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-13-06, 09:41 AM   #5  
Age of Craftsman Mower?

Posted By: cheese If you'll supply the serial number, I can tell you what year it was built.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you...The serial number is 0305 925 006605. Thanks so much for your help. I really wish to know the age of this thing Craftsman mower.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-14-06, 12:00 AM   #6  
I believe it's a 1992.

God bless!

05-14-06, 08:47 AM   #7  
Posted By: cheese I believe it's a 1992.
Thanks so much, you are very helpful. I am grateful to report I just was able to find a buyer. A big part of me wants to fix it and keep it, but I know it isn't frugal. I haven't in 8 years. Thanks again!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-14-06, 10:42 PM   #8  
Glad to help!

God bless!

NY

05-15-06, 03:39 PM   #9  
To be sure of the model year, check the engine code number (it'll be on the blower shroud of the engine). The first six digits are in the following order: first two - year; second two - month; third two - day of month. For instance, a code number beginning with 920524, will be an engine produced on May 24, 1992.

Search this Thread