b&s 5hp governor problem ?

Old 05-06-06, 12:54 PM
b&s 5hp governor problem ?

Have a 5 hp B&S (#12F702) on my mower and caught a low branch which pulled away the governor spring. It was dangling on the throttle linkage, twisted and stretched. The rpms dropped immediately and then the engine stopped.

Replaced the spring, got the engine started, now it runs only at low idle, quite rough and surges. rpms will not increase when pushing on the throttle.

Expect that this engine has a mechanical governor not a pneumatic.

Is there another spring that may have been damaged...are there other adjustments required when the governor spring gets replaced.

As always, great advice is appreciated.

Don't know what the next step is...

Don't know what to do next to fix this.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-06, 03:55 PM
Please reply back with the type number to the engine.We need that # in order to tell which tention spring your supposed to have and also depending on what kinda carb your engine has,it could have one or two gov.springs.

Old 05-06-06, 05:25 PM
#0616-01

Trust that helps...

Old 05-07-06, 02:39 PM
The pic.that I have of your engine shows that you could have one of two carbs.the type # didn't help much after all,on that part.
But the # for a new gov.spring is 691292.these springs after being damaged,can very rearly be reused.If it's twisted or stretched get a new one.
And if your carb. has a choke on it as well as a primmer bulb,it should have an extra (smaller) spring that works as a choke return.Part # for this spring is 690354.The choke not comming all the way open after start will cause the engine to get more air to mix with the fuel and run faster.Also take a look at the throttle cable.It could be broken or lose at the clamp.So the remote throttle on the handle doesn't work.

Old 05-07-06, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the quick response on this. My engine has a primer bulb, but no manual choke

Have checked the throttle cable and clamps, appears OK as I see both moving on demand.

You mention a pic...are you able to share it with me...you know a picture is worth a thousand words...

Trying to understand how to locate/check/change the #690354 you mention, as I have only seen the governor spring, no other spring.

Appreciate the good advice.

Old 05-07-06, 07:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you certain the spring is connected to the correct places? One end should be on the throttle shaft, the other on a metal loop towards the front of the engine. Is the throttle open with the engine off and speed control at full throttle?

Old 05-08-06, 05:12 PM
Whew...tried to follow your suggestion Cheese...this just is not working out.

Any pics available to show me how.

Many thanks.

Old 05-09-06, 12:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm sorry, if this is the engine I'm thinking of, it should connect to a loop in the throtle linkage from the governor to a loop in the metal bracket at the front of the engine. Not in the throttle shaft. The loop at the front should be on a black metal bracket that is bolted on by the head bolts across the top of the head. I don't have any literature right here with me on that engine, but unless it's an OHV engine, this should be the way it connects.

Old 05-10-06, 07:29 PM
FYI...got it done, mower runs great !

Many thanks for the great advice.

Old 05-11-06, 12:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad you got it fixed!

Search this Thread